22-day Indonesia Island Hopper
Venture through Sumatra, Java, Bali and the Komodo Islands and discover Indonesia’s incredible natural beauty with our 22-day adventure tour.
From strolling around the cities and trekking the depths of the jungle in search of orangutans, to relaxing on black sand beaches, our passionate adventure leaders take you off-the-beaten-track on this unforgettable Indonesia experience. Immerse yourself in the country’s rich history and culture as you visit temples, mosques, rice terraces and local hangouts. Conquer the natural wonders of Mount Bromo and Mount Ijen, snorkel through Bali’s crystal-clear waters, and pay a visit to the majestic Komodo dragons. Surround yourself with stunning sunsets and delve into Indonesia’s nightlife as you party on the beach.
Zoom, pan and select icons to learn more.
Day 1: Medan & Bukit Lawang
- Meet your guide at the hostel at 8:45am, before embarking on a tour of the city. Pay a visit to the biggest mosque in Medan and the Palace of Sultan
- Head back to the hostel and receive a pre-departure briefing from your guide
- After lunch, depart for Bukit Lawang, where you will check into your accommodation in the early evening
Day 2-3: Gunung Leuser National Park
- After breakfast, head into the jungle to start your trekking adventure
- Follow your guides as you navigate in search of orangutans, macaques and other wildlife
- Make your way to your basecamp and cool off in the nearby stream
- Enjoy a freshly cooked dinner provided by the local guides as you eat around a campfire
- Wake up to the sounds of birds in the trees and eat your breakfast in nature
- Continue your trek until you reach the river, where you will tube down the current back to the guest house
- Enjoy a free evening to chill out and visit a local restaurant for dinner
Day 4: Bukit Lawang
- After a few days of trekking, today is a free day!
- OPTIONAL: Take a bike tour to the nearby villages and rubber plantations to experience local life
- OPTIONAL: Participate in a workshop and learn local handicrafts including coconut carving and necklace making
- OPTIONAL: For the more adventurous, why not visit the nearby bat cave? Hike through the jungle greens to the mouth of the cave to see hundreds of bats hanging from the roof!
- Make the most of a free evening to relax as you enjoy a cold Bintang or cocktail at the bar. You can even learn the basics of the Bahasa language in our free class.
Day 5-8: Yogyakarta
- Transfer to Medan airport to catch a flight to Yogyakarta, on the island of Java
- Arrive at your accommodation, where you will meet your fellow Dragon Trippers who are joining the trip
- Embark on a walking tour of the city, visiting The Palace of Yogyakarta, the Taman Sari Water Palace and Jalan Malioboro. Finish the tour at the Southern City Square to experience real local life at night
- Explore the famous temples just outside the city as you visit the iconic Borobudur, Mendut Temple, Prambanan Temple and Plaosan Temple
- After a full day exploring, spend a free evening as you please
- Your final day in Yogyakarta is a free day, which you can spend exploring the city
- OPTIONAL: Take part in a Batik workshop
- OPTIONAL: Hike to Goa Jomblang, where you’ll abseil 80m down into the mouth of the cave for fantastic photo opportunities, before tubing to smaller caves
Day 9-11: Mt. Bromo & Mt. Ijen
- Start your journey to Mount Bromo where you’ll arrive in the evening
- Set up camp for the night and enjoy dinner around a bonfire as the sun sets
- Wake up early to enjoy the sunrise over the volcano
- Climb aboard a four-wheel drive to travel across the ask, before hiking up to the edge of the crater
- After a local breakfast, head to the guesthouse near Mount Ijen. Make a stop at Madakaripura Waterfall on the way
- OPTIONAL: Depart on a 2-3 hour midnight trek to the top of the volcano, where you can descend into the crater to witness the unique blue fire
- Enjoy a fulfilling breakfast and well-deserved rest at the guest house
- In the late morning, transfer to Bali by minibus and ferry
- Arrive in Lovina and enjoy a free afternoon to relax, treat yourself to a massage or crack open some Bintangs
Day 12-15: Lovina & Ubud
- OPTIONAL: Embark on a sunrise boat trip 1km offshore to spot the local dolphin pods
- Eat breakfast at the hostel before departing to Ubud, where you will arrive at around midday
- OPTIONAL: Take part in a cooking class and learn to make the delicious Balinese cuisine yourself
- Take a walking tour of the area, as you explore the main streets, the Kajeng Rice Fields and local villages
- Continue your tour with visits to the Monkey Forest, the Royal Palace and Goa Gajah before heading back to the centre to stroll through the markets for some delicious street food
- Explore the area outside Ubud with visits to Tukad Cepung waterfall, Penglipuran – one of the cleanest villages in the world – before stopping for lunch in the village of Kintamani
- Pay a visit to Pura Tirta Empal and the Tegallang Rice Terrace – Ubud’s most famous attractions
- Enjoy a free day to explore the city’s art galleries, temples and markets, or take part in one of the many yoga classes available
- Get a taste of the local culture as you watch an Ubud Fire Kecek dance show
Day 16-17: Canggu
- Check out of your accommodation and transfer to Canggu
- Spend a free afternoon as you please, whether it’s relaxing on the beach or exploring the local villages – the choice is yours!
- OPTIONAL: Have a night out on the town at one of Bali’s largest beach parties on Man’s Beach or Echo Beach
- Take part in a full day of surfing classes, with options for beginners all the way to experienced pros
- Enjoy a free evening to relax after an action-packed day, or head back out to the beach parties
Day 18: Labuan Bajo
- Hop on a transfer to Bali airport and catch a flight to Labuan Bajo
- Explore the local fish and vegetable markets, and stock up on any snacks and drinks you want for the next few days
- Head back to your accommodation and enjoy a pool party in the hostel, which features a bar inside the pool
Day 19-21: Komodo Islands
- After breakfast, take a quick drive to the harbour where your live-aboard boat will be waiting for you
- Climb aboard and begin your live-aboard experiences, as your captain navigates through the Komodo islands. The exact route will be decided by your captain based on the water currents during your trip
- During your 3 days aboard, you’ll relax on beautiful beaches, climb to epic viewpoints, snorkel in crystal clear waters, visit a colony of Komodo dragons and witness the migration of flying foxes
- Visit numerous islands including Komodo Island, Rinca Island and Padar Island
- Enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner freshly cooked by your onboard team of chefs
- Head back to Labuan Bajo and spend the rest of the day relaxing by the pool or exploring more of the town
Day 22: Densapar
- Check out of the hostel and catch a flight to Denpasar International Airport, where you’ll land at 11am
- Say goodbye to your fellow travellers as you come to the end of your Dragon Trip tour. We wish you safe travels!
- Want to continue exploring Bali? We can help organise accommodation for you, just send us an email at email@example.com
The package price includes the following:
Bilingual Adventure Leaders
Accommodation (hostels, guest houses, 2 nights camping and 3 nights liveaboard boat)
Transport within Indonesia
All unmissable activities (see itinerary).
Please note: Accommodation is in dorm rooms as a standard.
Upgrade options ( twin or double rooms) are available on some parts of the trip, please contact us for more information.
Need hostels booked for after your trip ends? We are more than happy to help – just let us know what you need!
A deposit is required to make a reservation, with the balance due one month prior to departure (unless booking with one of our promotions, for which specific balance due dates may apply). The deposit is £200 GBP / $300 USD / $300 AUD / €300 EUR.
For customers making payment from the UK: please note that when you are making a payment into our US dollar account you must request your bank to send the money directly to our US dollar account at HSBC UK. Otherwise they may use an intermediary bank resulting in an added wiring fee charged to you of $25.00.
Late booking customers must understand that they may be sat separately from the rest of the group on trains, and may have to be booked into a separate dorm room. No bookings can be accepted within 30 days of a trip departure date.
If you would like to alter your trip itinerary from the one provided to you by us then please let us know more than 30 days before your trip departs so that we can make your trip the perfect one for you! When you let us know that means we can relay all information to our on the ground staff and make the appropriate arrangements. If you do not let us know in advance The Dragon Trip will not be responsible for assisting you, or for providing reimbursement for accommodations or transportation not used.
Upgrades & extras
The Dragon Trip provides, upon request, airport transfers. In Medan, the cost is 150,000 IDR per car (around £8). In Yogyakarta, the cost is 180,000 IDR per car (around £9.50).
If you would like to find out more about transfer arrangements, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Room upgrades are not available for this trip.
All plane tickets on our Indonesia tours are purchased through a central booking centre which means there is always a small chance that you may not be seated together with the person that you have booked the tour together with. If you or your PAX has a seat that is not next to the group’s, our Adventure Leaders will be able to explain to a local passanger to help switch seats so that Dragon Trippers may be seated together.
The use of Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) is prohibited during activities organized by The Dragon Trip. If you are in possession of a drone when entering the country it is your responsibility to be informed of and follow all local laws. This may include registering your drone with authorities. If you violate this policy or operate a drone illegally you are subject to removal from the tour as per our terms & conditions.
You will receive a wristband which will have a phone number on it for you to call in emergencies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dates & prices
Other Indonesia Adventures
Start your adventure