7 days Tokyo
On this Japan tour, immerse yourself in one of the most iconic aspects of Japanese culture: anime!
This 7 day Japan anime tour is a journey that covers Tokyo’s greatest destinations for all things anime. Explore top museums, electrifying shopping sites, indoor theme parks, and the hidden gems of Tokyo. You’ll be in a group with fellow anime lovers and meet experts along the way!
Our 2021 tour starts June 21st and finishes June 27th.
Itinerary & map
Japan Anime Tour: Day 1: Tokyo
- Arrive at Tokyo’s Narita/Haneda airport and make your way to your accommodation.
- Enjoy some free time to get settled or explore the surrounding area.
Day 2: Tokyo
- Our first day of the anime tour kicks off with a visit to the iconic Ghibli Museum, which showcases the work of the Japanese animation studio, Studio Ghibli! The brainchild of award-winning Japanese animation director Hayao Miyazaki, this museum includes a theatre showing film excerpts, a whimsical children’s play zone, a rooftop garden, and exhibits related to his movies, including Spirited Away.
Please note: Due to overwhelming demand, sometimes it is not possible for us to secure tickets for everyone, in which case we will refund 1000 JPY to the passenger who cannot attend.
- Head to Toei Animation Museum, which is founded by the leading producer of anime series and movies, including animated versions of popular manga such as Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon.
- Optional: Explore Shinjuku Omoide Yokocho (memory lane) food district, filled with dozens of tiny eateries serving ramen, soba, sushi, yakitori and kushiyaki.
Day 3: Tokyo
- Take the Sumida River Cruise for a truly breathtaking view of the Tokyo Skyline from Hinode Pier to Asakusa.
- Then, learn about Buddhism as you visit the Sensoji Temple in Asakusa and explore the district’s charming streets.
- Enjoy some free time in Akihabara – Japan’s “Electric Town” – which is a hub of anime and manga stores and home to Japan’s most famous J-pop group, AKB48! Be sure to check out Sega Tower, an iconic structure filled with arcade machines!
- Optional: While you’re in Akihabara, why not have a “Made in Tokyo” experience at one of the city’s maid cafés? (1,800 JPY)
- Optional: Bring your favourite video game to life with Street Kart! Choose a costume such as Mario or Luigi and race through the streets of Tokyo ($90, 1.5 hours)! (PLEASE NOTE: to participate, you must secure an international driving permit valid in Japan and carry it with you on the day.)
Note: Booking is necessary for MariCar activity, please notify The Dragon Trip if you would like to join. Surcharge price to book with The Dragon Trip is 10,000 JPY per person. Course name: A 1-M.
- Prepare to sing your heart out as you try one of Japan’s favourite past-times: karaoke! This is with a twist- but you’ll have to come on the tour to find out what it is! (1-hour room fee covered, food and drinks not included)
Day 4: Tokyo
- Get ready to get otaku in Nakano Broadway, a famous multi-floored complex and shopping arcade with a treasure trove of rare and collectable anime, manga, action figures, and more! You never know what you’ll find!
- Compare the traditional and the modern in the Harajuku area of Tokyo. Wander through the forest until you reach the Meiji Shrine, dedicated to Emperor Meiji and his wife, Empress Shoken, who began Japan’s transformation from a feudal to modern society in the early 20th century.
- Then, move on to the Harajuku shopping district to see maids, punks, goths, and fashionistas – anything goes in Harajuku!
- Optional: See the famous Shibuya Crossing. When the lights turn red at this busy intersection, pedestrians surge into the junction from all sides, like a floodgate opening. You can observe the organized chaos from the second-story window of the Tsutaya building on the crossing’s north side. You’re then free to explore the city!
Day 5: Tokyo
- Enjoy a day wandering around Ikebukuro!
- Explore Sunshine City shopping mall and head to Otome Road in search of anime goods.
- Then, grab your trainer badges and head to the Pokemon Center Mega Tokyo where you can catch ‘em all in style!
- Enjoy the indoor theme park – Namjatown which offers attractions, delicious gyoza and dessert! (Entrance ticket is included, other tickets not included)
Day 6: Tokyo
- Make the most of a free day in the city! You can explore on your own, or see what your tour leader has planned and follow them to some major sites!
- Optional: Why not assemble your pirate crew and invade Tokyo One Piece Tower, a theme park for the best-selling anime and manga One Piece! (3,200 JPY)
- Enjoy the spacious lawns, meandering paths and tranquil scenery of Shinjuku Gyoen, one of Tokyo’s largest parks. In spring it becomes one of the most popular places in the city to see cherry blossoms.
- Walk among the Ameyoko Market crowd where you can find all kinds of Japanese products.
Day 7: Tokyo
- Transfer to Narita/Haneda Airport and prepare to fly home, having completed your epic adventure through Japan!
Note: if your flight does not leave until nighttime, we can arrange additional activities for a fee. Alternatively, explore Tokyo with your tour leader.
Our Japan anime tour package price includes the following features:
• A bilingual Adventure Leader from day 2-5
• Transport within Japan, including a metro card with ¥4500
• Accommodation (gender split dorm rooms)
Please note: Accommodation is in 4-8 bedded dorm rooms as a standard on our Japan tours.
Our included activities:
• Visit the Ghibli Museum
• Toei Animation Museum
• Explore Shinjuku Omoide Yokocho
• Take the Sumida River cruise
• Asakusa district and Sensoji Temple
• Enjoy a Karaoke night
• Visit Nakano Broadway
• Head to the Meiji Shrine
• Explore Harajuku
• Have a wander in Ikebukuro
• Explore Sunshine City mall
• Head to Otome Road
• Catch ’em all at the Pokemon Centre Mega Tokyo
• Visit Namjatown
On this Japan Anime tour, accommodation is in 4-8 bedded dorm rooms as a standard. Upgrades to a private room are available.
Should you want to stay on longer in Japan after your anime tour, we can purchase Japan Rail Passes for you at an additional cost.
We can also arrange pre and post trip accommodation in Tokyo.
A deposit is required to make a reservation on our Japan tours, with the balance due 70 days prior to departure (unless booking with one of our promotions, for which specific balance due dates may apply).
The deposit is 10% of the group tour price (unless stated otherwise). If you book on to our Japan tours less than 70 days prior to departure, the full balance will be due within 3 days of booking.
No bookings can be accepted within 40 days of a trip departure date.