7 days Tokyo
On this Japan tour, immerse yourself in one of the most iconic aspects of Japanese culture: anime!
This 7-day Japan Anime Tour is a journey that covers Tokyo’s greatest destinations for all things anime. Explore top museums, electrifying shopping sites, indoor theme parks, and the hidden gems of Tokyo. You’ll be in a group with fellow anime lovers, and you’ll meet experts as you go!
Itinerary & map
Day 1: Tokyo
Welcome to Tokyo, for the start of your Japan anime tour! Today, you’ll arrive at either Narita or Haneda airport, and then make your way to your accommodation. For the rest of the day, you can either spend your free time getting settled and resting up, or you can take to the streets and start exploring your surrounding area.
Day 2: Tokyo
The first day of your Japan anime tour kicks off in style, with a visit to the iconic Ghibli Museum. The museum showcases the work of the Japanese animation studio, and is the brainchild of award-winning Japanese animation director Hayao Miyazaki. Once inside, you’ll find a theatre showing film excerpts, a rooftop garden, and a number of exhibits related to Ghibli’s world famous filmography. [Please note: Due to overwhelming demand for the Museum, it may not always be possible for us to secure tickets for everyone. In these cases, we will refund 1000JPY to any passengers who are unable to visit during their tour.]
After this, we’ll head to the area around Inogashira Park, a green haven in Tokyo’s trendy Kichijoji area. Take some time to wander here, before heading into Harmonica Yokocho. This atmospheric warren of alleyways is home to clothing stores, bars, and local eateries – making it the perfect place to grab some lunch. If you’d like to explore further afield, you’ll have some free time here – so be sure to ask your Adventure Leader for recommendations!
You have the option today to explore the Shinjuku Omoide Yokocho (Memory Lane) food district, which is filled with dozens of tiny eateries serving ramen, soba, sushi, yakitori and kushiyaki.
Day 3: Tokyo
Today, jump on board a boat for the Sumida River Cruise! You’ll get truly breathtaking views of the Tokyo Skyline, from Hinode Pier to Asakusa. You’ll then explore the district of Asakusa in more depth, taking in the charming streets and paying a visit to the Sensoji Temple, where you’ll learn lots about Buddhism in Japan.
Then, you’ll head to Akihabara for some free time – it’s known as Japan’s ‘Electric Town’, is both the cultural centre of anime and manga, and home to Japan’s most famous J-pop group: AKB48! While you’re in Akihabara, you might also want to have a ‘Made in Tokyo’ experience at one of the city’s maid cafés.
This evening, prepare to sing your heart out, as you try one of Japan’s favourite pastimes: karaoke! This is karaoke with a twist… but you’ll have to come on the tour to find out what it is!
Day 4: Tokyo
Today, get ready to get otaku in Nakano Broadway! This famous multi-floor complex and shopping arcade is a treasure trove for anime lovers, and is filled with rare and collectable anime, manga, action figures, and more! You never know what you’ll find…
Next, you’ll head to the Harajuku area of Tokyo to compare the modern with the traditional. After a short tour, head into the shopping district to see maids, punks, goths and fashionistas – anything goes in Harajuku. After a wander here, you’ll head to the Meiji Shrine, which is dedicated to Emperor Meiji and his wife, Empress Shoken – they began Japan’s transformation from a feudal to a modern society in the early 20th century.
You have the option today to head and see the Shibuya Crossing. When the lights turn red at this busy intersection, pedestrians surge from all sides like a floodgate opening. After this, you’re free to explore the city under your own steam! [If you’ve chosen to take part in the exciting Kartoon Karting activity, this is when you’ll join.]
Day 5: Tokyo
Today, you’ll enjoy a day wandering around Ikebukuro! On your travels, you’ll explore the Sunshine City shopping mall and head to Otome Road in search of the best anime goods. After, grab your trainer badges and head to Pokémon Center Mega Tokyo – where you can catch ’em all in style! You’ll also visit the Tokyo Anime Station in Ikebukuro. This brand new attraction is full of events and exhibitions dedicated to all things anime.
Later, we’ll take you to enjoy the indoor theme park, Namjatown. It offers a number of attractions, as well as food stalls selling delicious gyoza and dessert! In the afternoon, you can either spend some time exploring the city on your own, or head back to chill out with your group.
Day 6: Tokyo
Make the most of a free day in the city today! You can explore on your own, or see what you Adventure Leader has planned and follow them to some major sites! You might want to:
- Enjoy the spacious lawns, meandering paths and tranquil scenery of Shinjuku Gyoen, one of Tokyo’s largest parks. In spring, it becomes one of the most popular places in the city to see the cherry blossoms.
- Visit the Ameyoko Market? In this bustling market, you’ll be able to pick up all manner of amazing Japanese products. This also puts you in the Ueno area, perfectly placed for Ueno Park and the National Art Museum.
- Visit Odaiba, home to Joypolis –Tokyo’s indoor amusement park! It’s also in this area that you’ll find the giant Gundam statue.
- You might want to take a day trip from Tokyo out to the sea, to the delightful coastal town of Kamakura. It’s a beautiful, relaxed place that offers a change of pace from the city, and is also the town from ‘Slam Dunk’!
Day 7: Tokyo
Today, your epic Japan anime tour comes to an end! If you have a later flight booked, you can contact us and we’ll help you arrange some additional activities for a free – or you can explore Tokyo with your tour leader. Otherwise, transfer back to Narita or Haneda airport, and prepare to fly home.
Our Japan anime tour package price includes the following features:
• A bilingual Adventure Leader from day 2-5
• Transport within Japan, including a metro card with ¥4500
• Accommodation (gender split dorm rooms)
Please note: Accommodation is in 4-8 bedded dorm rooms as a standard on our Japan tours.
Our included activities:
- Ghibli Museum [Please note: Due to overwhelming demand for the Museum, it may not always be possible for us to secure tickets for everyone. In these cases, we will refund 1000JPY to any passengers who are unable to visit during their tour.]
- Inogashira Park
- Sumida River Cruise
- Asakusa walking tour
- Sensoji Temple
- Akihabara walking tour
- Nakano Broadway
- Meiji Shrine
- Shibuya Crossing
- Pokémon Mega Center Tokyo
- Tokyo Anime Station Ikebukuro
- Free time activities, including Omoide Yokocho, Odaiba visit, Shijuku Gyeon Garden, Kamakura day trip etc.
- Maid in Tokyo café experience
- Karaoke night
- Kartoon Karting – please note that booking is necessary for Kartoon Karting, and that the Dragon Trip should be informed of your intent to join this experience at least 6 weeks before. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
On this Japan Anime tour, accommodation is in 4-8 bedded dorm rooms as a standard. Upgrades to a private room are available (GBP 200 per room).
Should you want to stay on longer in Japan after your anime tour, we can purchase Japan Rail Passes for you at an additional cost.
We can also arrange pre and post trip accommodation in Tokyo.
A deposit is required to make a reservation on our Japan tours, with the balance due 70 days prior to departure (unless booking with one of our promotions, for which specific balance due dates may apply).
The deposit is 10% of the group tour price (unless stated otherwise). If you book on to our Japan tours less than 70 days prior to departure, the full balance will be due within 3 days of booking.
No bookings can be accepted within 40 days of a trip departure date.