China FAQs | The Dragon Trip

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have questions about bookings, flights, discounts, getting in, health, where you’ll stay, how you’ll get around, with whom, dressed in what, eating what, we’ve got you covered!

China Adventures

Who are we?

We made a whole page to answer just this question. Click here to read about us.

Why should you travel with us?

When you choose the Dragon Trip, you’re choosing the best value backpacker travel in China there is.

  • We take you to see the absolute best of China. All-encompassing, packed itineraries give you access to the top must-see sites you’ve read about, as well as all the hidden, off-the-beaten-track destinations you haven’t.
  • You’ll experience travelling with an amazing group of like-minded people – not just those travelling with you, but our expert, fun-loving guides too! They’ll show you their part of China their way.
  • You’ll get opportunities to give something back by volunteering in the local community.
  • We have an excellent commitment to safety – we do the hard work in keeping you safe, so you can enjoy yourself to the full.
  • We prioritise environmentally-friendly and sustainable travel – we want these stunning places to exist for future generations.
  • We like to think of ourselves as open-minded people, and our tours are for open-minded people too. We welcome travellers of any nationality, ethnicity, religion, political affiliation, gender and sexual orientation.
  • We are an LGBT-friendly travel operator, so you’ll feel safe travelling with us, whatever your way of life – that means no judging and no harassing!
  • Our China trips are most suitable for travellers aged 18 to 50 – however, we do occasionally make exceptions outside of this on an individual basis.

Who travels with us?

On first glance, our ‘Dragons’ look like a disparate group of people. We’re young, old, long-time travellers, career-breakers, gap year-takers, families, students, teachers, explorers, history buffs, foodies, nomads, fitness freaks, anime-lovers, Brits, Europeans, Kiwis, Aussies, Americans and a whole lot more. However, whilst appearing very different at first glance, our travellers are more united than first appearances might suggest…

Just like our fantastic team, our customers share a thirst for knowledge, a taste for adventure and a genuine interest in discovering new cultures.

What’s included?

  • English-speaking Adventure Leaders.
  • Free Mandarin tuition for beginners.
  • Accommodation in hostels which meet The Dragon Trip’s high standards. All hostels have their own unique Chinese charm, and at the same time are safe, clean, and hygienic.
  • All train, boat and bus tickets.
  • Entry, transport and Adventures Leaders to some of China’s unmissable attractions – such as the Terracotta Warriors, camping on the Great Wall, and bamboo rafting down the Li River (a full list of all unmissable activities is available on individual trip pages).
  • All taxes and charges.

What’s not included?

  • Flights to and from China or Hong Kong.
  • Aside from the many free unmissable activities The Dragon Trip offers you, we also offer some extra activities which are great value for money, safe, and fun.
  • Food & drink: Eating and drinking is incredibly cheap in China, but even so, the Dragon Trip still gives you access to a great range of discounts on food and drinks in the liveliest bars in town.
  • Any train/bus tickets for journeys made after the trip – we provide a booking service at a cost of 30 RMB per ticket booked, on top of the price of the ticket.
  • Any hostels for after your trip has ended. We recommend that you use Hostel World for booking hostels. We can book hostels for you, however we’ll charge a service fee of 150 RMB.

When do the trips depart?

Please find the departure dates for each trip on their respective itinerary page!

Can I begin my trip on a non-listed date?

Yes – usually, you can join the trip at any point. But, as China is a very big country, we might need to help you catch up to wherever the group you’ll be meeting is in China when you arrive, which sometimes adds to the cost of the trip. For any situations like this, please contact us with your specific request.

Why is The Dragon Trip better than other travel companies?

We offer a balance between cultural activities, extreme activities and great nightlife.  We offer a package aimed at budget travellers, who want to travel with other like-minded people.  We offer access to the real China, where you get to experience ‘The Middle Kingdom’ as an insider, rather than a tourist.  As a result, we are consistently rated very highly on Feefo.

We constantly strive to provide you with the best value for money while travelling in China, but your safety is always our absolute priority – you’re in good hands.

Why are we cheaper than other backpacking tours?

Firstly, we normally use public transport to get to the train stations and visit local attractions, and we find this not only keeps costs lower, but also provides a chance to experience real China, rather than observe it at a distance from a tourist minibus. Secondly, we often use young Adventure Leaders who work for us just for one or two seasons after graduating university. They are highly educated and thoroughly trained, but as they are doing it more for personal experience rather than to make money, they are cheaper, and some may argue, more enthusiastic than the ‘career tour guides’ used by most tour companies in China.

What are the ages & nationalities of people booked on Dragon trips?

Each trip is different, but our travelers come from all over the world and from every background – why not connect with fellow Dragon Trippers or meet people on The Dragon Trip Facebook page? Usually, Dragon Trippers are aged anywhere between 18 to 30 something, but we do get older customers joining. We fully embrace the backpacker attitude – meaning that everyone is very welcome. A typical trip would include friends who have just finished high school, couples on career breaks, students on university holidays, and solo travelers from all walks of life. The group normally speaks English, but come from all over the world including the UK, North America, Australia and New Zealand, Mainland Europe, Israel and Brazil.

How can I book my trip?

All you have to do is email us with your full name at and send in your deposit (10% of trip cost) to guarantee a place in the tour of your choosing. The full amount will be due 40 days before your trip departure date. Once we have confirmed your deposit or full payment, then we will need your correct passport name, birthdate and passport number so that we can issue you your visa invitation letters and booking pack.

What is the payment policy?

For all trips, a deposit of 10% of trip cost is required in order to confirm your booking, and the remaining amount is due 40 days prior to your departure. If you book on to our China tours less than 40 days prior to departure, the full balance will be due within 3 days of booking.

How do I pay?

After making a booking on our website, depending on whether you are paying in British pounds or US dollars, you will need to send your payment to our British account, or US account. If you are paying to our US dollar account please make sure to let your bank know that you do not want them to use an intermediary bank and instead send it directly to the US dollar account at HSBC UK – otherwise you may be charged with a $25 intermediary bank usage fee! As soon as we see your payment come through we will issue you a receipt confirming it.

British (GBP) bank account details:
HSBC Account Name: The Dragon Trip Pte. Ltd.
Account Number: 8153 1115
Sort Code: 40 02 08
Branch Address: HSBC Bank Plc, 455 Strand, London, WC2R 0RH
Swift Code: MIDLGB22 IBAN: GB82MIDL40020881531115

US$ (USD) bank account details (for customers based in the USA):

Account Name: The Dragon Trip LLC

Account Number: 601396242

Routing No: 0113 01798

Swift Code:EASRUS3B

Send checks to: The Dragon Trip, 51 Melcher Street – First Floor, Boston, MA 02210, USA

US$ (USD) bank account details (for customers based outside of the USA, including Canada):
Account Name: The Dragon Trip PTE LTD
Swift Code: CMFGUS33
Account Number: 8310305569
Address: TransferWise, 19 W 24th Street, New York NY 10010, United States

Canadian Dollar (CAD) bank account details:
Bank Name: Digital Commerce Bank
Financial Institution Number: 352
Transit Number: 10009
Bank Account Number: 940591852
Bank Address: 736 Meridian Road NE, Calgary, Alberta, T2A 2N7 Canada

Euro € (EUR) bank account details:
Bank Name: AS LHV PANK
IBAN: EE547777000091791801
Bank address: Tartu mnt 2, Tallinn 10145, Estonia

Australian Dollar (AUD) bank account details:
BSB Number: 013943
Account Number: 612518329
Account Type: Current
Bank Name: Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited (AN)
Bank Address: 833 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia

What happens if there is an unforeseen emergency?

Examples of this would include:

– Terrorist attack
– Civil unrest
– Earthquake/Tsunami
– Bad Weather
– Flooding

The Dragon Trip will only pay up to the original costs outlined in the itinerary, but will not pay any additional costs*. Our official policy is to charge customers for any extra costs and advise them to request reimbursement from their travel insurance provider. Payment to The Dragon Trip should be made before the company makes additional purchases whenever possible.

*Additional costs may include (but are not limited to) arranging new transportation or booking new accommodation for the group.

Please note:

Because this policy involves emergency situations, it is always on a case by case basis. Adventure tour managers reserve the right to make an exception to this rule if the group’s safety is in danger or a decision needs to be made immediately (i.e. the next train is about to depart and we need to quickly buy new tickets without consulting the group). In these cases, it is acceptable for the company to make purchases without receiving payment from customers in advance.

After their tour, customers can request reimbursement from travel insurance. Many travel insurance providers offer some form of “Bad Weather or Natural Disaster Coverage” which covers unexpected inclement weather or unexpected natural disasters. These are examples of relevant coverages included in most most policies:

• Trip Delay – generally from bad weather or carrier-caused delays. Trip Delay is reimbursement for meals and accommodations that you might incur if your trip is delayed for a covered reason. Trip Delay can happen at anytime throughout the trip. For example, you’ll be reimbursed up to the daily limit for meals and accommodations (to the policy maximum) if your departure is delayed for more than the number of hours required for a covered reason during your trip.

• Trip Interruption – you unexpectedly return home early from your trip. This reimburses you for your unused prepaid trip costs and one

If The Dragon Trip goes out of business, would I still be able to get a refund?

Yes, as stated below:

Total Payment Protection (topp) Policy cover.
In compliance with the UK Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 an insurance policy has been arranged with Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), to protect customers’ prepayments in the unlikely event of our financial failure and paid in respect of:

  • non-flight inclusive packages commencing and returning to the UK
  • the ground handling aspects of packages where the customer is responsible for arranging travel to the destination offered in this brochure/literature/document/ on the website (subject to the terms of the insurance policy), for:
    • a refund of such prepayments if customers have not yet travelled, or
    • making arrangements to enable the holiday to continue if customers have already travelled

Customers’ prepayments are protected by a topp policy.  

In the unlikely event of financial failure please contact the claims helpline on 0870 0137 965. A copy of the policy is available on request.

This policy is provided by Travel & General Insurance Services Limited (t&g), registered number 02527363 and underwritten by Hiscox Insurance Company Limited (Hiscox), registered number 00070234. t&g and Hiscox are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (number 113849)

What if I miss the booking deadline for a trip?

Unfortunately, registration for our backpacker tours is closed 18 days before the departure date. You do have the option of arranging another trip as an independent traveller. This means that you will let us know where you would like to go, when you would like to go, and how many people you would like to go with and we will arrange all the Adventure Leaders, accommodations and transportation (all still at the most competitive price point). This is a much more flexible (and shorter) trip option, which many of our travellers do choose to do.

Is there anything I need to do after (if) I book through another agent?

Please kindly provide us with a scan or photo of your passport’s information page so that we may begin to issue you your visa invitation documents.

How do our promotions work?

All promotions used must be stated at the time of booking and cannot be backdated. Promotions cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers. Any discount applied is at the sole discretion of the Dragon Trip.

Can I use my student card?

Unfortunately, the Chinese Tourism board has mandated that only national (i.e. Chinese) student cards will be accepted from May 8, 2015. So, no.

How do I get my Chinese Visa?

When travelling to China for tourism, all travellers require a visa to gain entry. Applying for a tourism visa around 2 months before you travel should usually give you the time you need to get everything in order, so The Dragon Trip will provide you with your invitation letter at this point – this is a key piece of documentation you need when applying. Documentation requirements may differ between nationalities, so please make sure that you have checked what your specific needs are! You can find this information out using this link.

For several European & Asian countries, China has a policy to stay up to 15-days without a visa! These countries include Germany, France & the Netherlands. We’re expecting more countries to follow soon, but always make sure to check if you need a visa or not to be absolutely sure. Upon request, we can adjust the duration of your tour to match with the visa-free policy.

For travellers from the United Kingdom, guidelines on applying can be found here.

If you require any of your documentation for application ahead of this timeline, or have any more detailed questions, please feel free to reach out to our team on

Please note that some trips start in Hong Kong – you don’t need a visa for Hong Kong, but will need one for mainland China. 

What travel insurance do I need for China?

We require all our customers to have backpackers travel insurance when coming on the trip. We recommend purchasing a travel insurance that offers ‘Bad Weather or Natural Disaster Coverage’.

Please bring details of your travel insurance along with you, especially to your trip briefing on Day 1. In the event of an accident, we may need contact your insurance company on your behalf, so we will need the insurance company’s name and phone number, and your policy number. When it comes to who to choose, we’re big fans of World Nomads as a travel insurance provider.

Do I need any special vaccinations for China?

The Dragon Trip aims to enter no areas with tropical diseases. However, like with any backpacking trip, we urge you to seek advice from a travel nurse before departing your home country.

  • Yellow Fever: The only vaccine required by international regulations is Yellow Fever. Proof of vaccination against yellow fever is only required if you have visited a country in the yellow-fever zone within the six days prior to entering China.
  • Dengue: This mosquito-borne disease occurs in some parts of southern China. There is no vaccine so avoid mosquito bites. Use insect avoidance measures at all times.
  • Hep A: All travellers to China should be vaccinated.
  • Hep B: Sexually transmitted. All travellers to China should be vaccinated.
  • Japanese Encephalitis: Vaccination is recommended if you’re in rural areas for more than a month during summer months. Many of our travellers have done the trip without this vaccination. However, as a company we must urge you to take all precautions deemed necessary including the highest level of immunizations for safety reasons. But as we have mentioned, some choose to travel without this vaccination and so far we have not had a problem.
  • Malaria: Generally, malaria is a high risk only in the areas of China that border Myanmar and Vietnam and we do not go to these places so it should not be a primary concern for you. However, as we mentioned above, we must advise you to err on the side of safety.
  • Rabies: Don’t need pre-vaccination per se.
  • Bilharzia/Schistosomiasis: Avoid swimming or bathing in fresh water where Bilharzia is present.
  • Typhoid: All travellers spending more than a week in China should be vaccinated.

I’m not very physically fit!  Is the trip suitable for me?

At its heart, the Dragon Trip is an adventure tour of China, but you can make your Dragon Trip as physically active (or inactive) as you want. Instead of hiking up Moon Hill, you could ask your Adventure Leader for a more relaxing activity like going for a massage!

I have a medical condition – is this OK?

Generally yes, but please do inform us of your specific requirements at the point of booking.

Do I need a first aid kit?

All of our Adventure Leaders have a fully equipped first aid kit with them at all times, but of course there is no harm in bringing your own small one along. We also advise that you bring your own antihistamine, anti-diarrhoea, and painkillers if you think you’ll need them. If you go via Hong Kong, you’ll have the chance to stock up on medication at the beginning of your trip.

If something happens, will I be able to get necessary medical attention?

All Chinese cities have hospitals and clinics in case of emergencies. With that being said, medical treatment is certainly more developed in the bigger cities, but regardless of where you are in China, medical treatment is available, and your Adventure Leader will always be on hand to help take you to a hospital if worst comes to worst.

Which hostels do we use?

*Please note, hostels are subject to change dependent on availability.

  • Hong Kong: Yesinn @ YMT, 2/F, 1B Wing Sing lane, Yau Ma Tei (Tel: +852 2771 8088)
  • Yangshuo: Yangshuo 11 International Hostel, No. 14 Lian Feng Xiang, West Street, Guilin, Guangxi (Tel: +86 0773 6912 228)
  • Chengdu: Flipflop Hostel Poshpacker, No.98, Dongsheng Street, Jinjiang, 610021 Chengdu (Tel: +86 2862500185)
  • Xi’an: Desti Youth Park International Hostel, Jinzhong Building 2-3 Floor No. 2 North Street, Lianhu District, Xi’An (Tel: +86 17792721555)
  • Shaolin: Dengfeng Shaolin Holiday Guesthouse, No. 089, West Guodian Village, Shaolin (Tel: +86 15617967888)
  • Beijing: (If not camping on Great Wall) Beijing Leo Hostel at the Great Wall, Donggou Village, Badaling Town, Yanqing Country (Tel: +86 13910006880)
  • Beijing: Peking Youth Hostel, No.113-2, Nan Luo Gu Xiang, Dongcheng District, Dongcheng, 100009 Beijing (Tel: +86 1084039098)
  • Hangzhou: Bokai Westlake Hotel, No.32, Qingnian Road, Shangcheng, 310000 Hangzhou (Tel: +86 57187030188)
  • Shanghai: Dayin International Youth Hostel (The Bund Branch), No. 98 Liuhe Road, Huangpu (Tel: +86 13816207028)
  • Fujian: Mr. Liu’s Guesthouse, Tianliaokeng, Shangban Cun, Shuyang Town, Nanjing County (Tel: +86 13959628178) 

What is the standard of accommodation?

All of the hostels are clean, air-conditioned or have fans, are safe, have good showers, internet, washing machines and most importantly, have real Chinese character. People who stay at hostels are usually young people aged 18 to 35 who are travelling on a smaller budget than people staying at hotels. So it is easy to make friends and fun to hang out at the bar (all the hostels we stay at have cool bars and lounging areas to hang out). If you would like to stay in a private room though, that is absolutely possible as well as we have room upgrades available at the time of purchase.

Please note that while gender-specific dorm rooms are available in some destinations, there is a chance that your hostel accommodation will be mixed dorms.

Do the hostels have WIFI?  Will I be able to keep in touch with friends and family while in China?

There is Wi-Fi and computers available for use in all hostels you stay in during The Dragon Trip. You can also purchase a Chinese SIM card very cheaply to stay in touch and your Adventure Leader can help you with this. Alternatively, you can look into using an eSim provider such as Holafly.

If you would like to use a VPN while in China please set it up before entering Mainland China as most VPN sites are also blocked in Mainland China. Additionally, there is a free, but slower, VPN available in Mainland China which you can access by going to directly on your device.

Do I need to bring power converters?

Chinese electrical outlets are 220 volt and use the US standard plug shape. This means if your country uses 110 volt outlets- i.e. the US- you need a convertor for your devices; however with that being said, most computer and phone chargers are equipped to use either 220 volt or 110 volt outlets, but please check your specific device to be sure.

Do I need a sleeping bag or is linen supplied in the hostels?

All bedding – including sleeping bags and mats during Great Wall camping – is provided. However, if you need a pillow while camping make sure to bring your own!

Who looks after our bags when we’re on transport and/or day excursions?

The bags will be stored at the hostels where they are tagged and recorded. We have never had a case of anyone losing their luggage or having their luggage stolen so you can focus on having fun.

Can I upgrade to a private room?

Yes! You can find full, up-to-date up pricing information on the ‘Upgrades & Extras’ section of your tour itinerary page. Simply email us on at least 1 month prior to your departure, and we can get this organised for you.

As this is a backpacker tour, we often use public transport on our activities and to transfer between the hostel and the train station. In order to keep our prices as low as possible, occasionally on longer trains, one Adventure Leader will put you on a train, and another will collect you off the train in your destination.

The Dragon Trip recommends avoiding travelling long distances in China during Spring Festival Golden Week (early February) and National Day Golden Week (early October), unless arranged far in advance. This is because China has an enormous population, who all look to travel and visit tourist attractions at the same time during these periods. This makes tourist attractions exceedingly crowded and last minute bookings extremely difficult. Tickets for transportation often sell out and entire cities’ worth of hotels have been known to book up. With this being said, it is possible to travel during these times, just difficult. Click here for a list of China’s public holidays.

What is it like on the trains?

You only get beds on the overnight trains. Bullet trains or day trains are best compared with airplane seats. We try to get all our travellers in the same compartment/seating area as well so that you can have fun getting to know each other better, playing some games, and even sharing a few drinks.

Can I upgrade to a different train class?

It is possible to upgrade to a four-berth soft sleeper on your trip. If you would like to upgrade please send us an email and we will be happy to arrange this for you. You can find the individual train upgrade prices on your tour itinerary page, under the ‘Upgrades’ section.

Will we be sitting together?

All train tickets in China must be purchased through a central booking center which means there is always a small chance that you may not be seated together with the person that you have booked the tour together with.

If you or a fellow traveller has a seat that is not with the group, our Adventure Leaders have a process to help you switch your tickets, so that you are seated next to the group. In some train stations, the Adventure Leader will be able to board the train even when they won’t be travelling themselves. In this case, they will switch tickets with a local so that Dragon Trippers can sit together.

Who are the adventure leaders?

Each group will be accompanied by a combination of local Adventure Leaders. All our adventure leaders speak English and Mandarin, have official guide licenses, and have the passion and knowledge to ensure that they can help you have a great time in each destination.

How experienced are they?  And will they be travelling with us?

Each of our Adventure Leaders is an expert in their area – so actually you will have a different Adventure Leader in each location. At the end of the trip for each location they will either travel with you just on the train, or see you off onto your train and another Adventure Leader will pick you right back up as soon as you get off your train.

For more information on who’ll you’ll be travelling with, meet our team!

What should I pack for my trip?

We strongly recommend packing very light for The Dragon Trip. China has everything under the sun- they are after all the world’s factory- so don’t fret too much if you left something behind, almost anything you’d conceivably need is available throughout China. You really need very little as you can wash clothes regularly in the hostels. Bear in mind also that you can leave a bag in Hong Kong for the duration of your trip for 50 HKD/day per bag.

Please be aware that on trains in China, you  are not allowed to bring sprays or aerosols over 120ml on board – if you try to board with these, they’ll be taken off you! The same rule applies for power banks over 20,000W – so be careful what you bring, and make sure you’re always checking capacities!

Suitcase or backpack?

Suitcase is OK, but a backpack/hold-all is much, much more convenient.

I’m doing this trip as part of a gap year so I’ll have a very large bag – is this OK?

If you are starting and finishing in the same location you are able to leave luggage at the hostel for 50 HKD/day per bag. We advise a rucksack of 50–70L, but a suitcase is also fine. If necessary absolutely, arrangements can also be made to send things domestically, for an extra fee.

  • Flipflops
  • Sensible walking shoes
  • T-shirts
  • Shorts/skirts
  • Swimming costume
  • Lightweight waterproof
  • Towel
  • Washbag
  • Passport with China Visa
  • Chinese yuan or credit/debit card
  • Student card if you have one, as there are a few student deals on the trip
  • Travel insurance policy
  • Photocopies of insurance policy, bank cards, passport photo page, visa
  • Books and other entertainments for the night trains
  • Mosquito repellent, sun-screen and after-sun
  • Camera and charger – China is a photographer’s dream!
  • Small first aid kit with medicine for diarrhea, paracetamol, disinfectant etc.
  • If travelling before May or after September, please bring a hat, gloves, coat, hoodie and warm trousers with you
  • A big bag and a small rucksack. We sometimes get separated from our big bags, so you’ll need to keep your valuables with you in a small bag.

Bring electronic products at your own risk. Some customers choose to travel with iPhones, tablets and laptops – although theft is extremely rare on the Dragon Trip, there is petty crime in some areas we visit.

How do I get money in China?

You will be able to withdraw money at an ATM in each city, and your Adventure Leader will tell you when the next stop on the Trip where you will be able to withdraw more cash is. We advise that you notify your bank that you will be travelling before you depart. As a note, many banks and cards do charge a foreign transaction fee when withdrawing money while abroad, so it will probably be cheaper to exchange Chinese Yuan (RMB) before you start your trip.

How much should I budget for food and drink on the Dragon Trip?

As a rough guide, 9 RMB = £1/US$1.30.

Food in China is very cheap. We advise you to budget 100-150 RMB per day for food in great local restaurants your Adventure Leader will take you to which we know are safe and tasty. If you want to eat cheaper than this you can, by eating more simple dishes like fried rice/noodles which come in at less that 10 RMB per meal.

As an example of prices of everyday items:

  • Small bottle water: 3 RMB
  • Basic Chinese meal: 30-50 RMB (80-100 RMB for a wider variety of choice)
  • Drink in a night club: 50-100 RMB
  • Beer in a restaurant/hostel: 20-30 RMB
  • Taxi: (10 minutes) 30 RMB (taxi prices vary depending on the city, but are very cheap compared to Europe/North America)

Do I need to tip in China?

Tipping in China is not customary and is not necessary. Of course, voluntary tipping is completely up to you, but in places like restaurants, bars or taxis it is extremely rare.

What kind of food will we be eating on the trip?

One of the best parts of traveling in China is definitely the food! With its diverse mix of different cuisines, food throughout the country can be vastly different, but fear not- with literally thousands of options, China has something for everyone, even the pickiest or most adventurous of eaters.

What kind of restaurants will we go to?

Your Adventure Leader will always offer to take you for a group meal, where we go to a local restaurant, which we know is hygienic and has cheap and delicious food. These meals usually work out at 30 RMB (£3/$4.50) per person, but if you do want to eat cheaper, you can always grab a bowl of noodles or fried rice for around 10 RMB (£1/$1.50). If you are craving Western food, the hostels all offer affordable Western dishes like pizza and pasta for about 30-40 RMB.

I’m vegetarian/have allergies – will I be able to get the right food?

Yes! With so many food choices, China can meet the needs of individuals with special dietary needs or requests. Just tell your Adventure Leader and they can help you find something suitable. You will probably discover a new dish that you love!

Can I use my mobile in China?

Typically the answer if yes, as long as your cell phone has been unlocked for international usage. For travellers wishing to use their own cell phone while in China, The Dragon Trip Cell recommends bringing a handset that’s unlocked and then purchasing an inexpensive prepaid SIM card from one of China’s three mobile phone providers (China Unicom, China Mobile, or China Telecom) directly from their retail outlets- this process will require you to bring your passport. SIM cards can also be recharged at most convenient stores or roadside newspaper stands for around 100 RMB. Typically purchased SIM cards can be used for domestic calls, texting and 3G/4G data.

I have an emergency on my trip, who should I contact?

If you encounter an emergency on your Dragon Trip in China, you can call our 24-hour emergency line on +86 21 2206 4018. Please note, this number should only be used in real emergencies related to someone being in danger or encountering an incident during their trip.


Any promotional code used must be presented and used at the time of paying your deposit and thereby confirming your booking. No special offers can be used on bookings which have already been submitted and confirmed.

Our prices are set in US$. Prices listed in British Pounds and Euros are for reference only – although we update these regularly, these are subject to change due to global exchange rates. If paying for your tour in a currency other than US$, we do need to have received an amount which converts to the cost of your specific trip at the point of purchase. For currency conversion rates please check

Tour information:

The typical group size for this trip is around about 13 people. The maximum group size is 18, and the minimum is 3.

Accommodation is not provided the night before Day 1 of your trip, or for the night of the last day of your trip. If booking your own accommodation for the night before Day 1 of your trip or for the evening of the last day we recommend the following:

  • Beijing – the Peking Youth Hostel
  • Shanghai – Dayin International Youth Hostel (Bund Branch)
  • Hong Kong – Yesinn @ YMT

If your trip starts in Hong Kong, your pre-departure briefing is in the lobby of Yes Inn @ YMT at 7am on Day 2 day of the trip. Bring your luggage with you, as you can leave it at Yes Inn whilst you hike. If you can’t make the 7am meeting, then please meet us at the lobby of Yes Inn @ YMT at 10.30am (at the VERY latest) on the morning of Day 2. Click here for directions to Yes Inn.

Itinerary Changes: 

We work hard to keep our published itineraries as up to date as possible. However, as we are constantly striving to improve our trips, and between this and circumstances not within our control, the itineraries may change slightly between the time you make a booking and the time you go on your trip. Similarly, please be aware that camping on the Great Wall is an activity only available from April to the end of September, and is also subject to weather conditions in the area.


The use of Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) is prohibited during activities organized by The Dragon Trip. If you are in possession of a drone when entering the country it is your responsibility to be informed of and follow all local laws. This may include registering your drone with authorities. If you violate this policy or operate a drone illegally you are subject to removal from the tour as per our terms & conditions.


Proceed Booking