20-day Vietnam to Cambodia Tour
Embrace Southeast Asia’s wealth of unforgettable experiences on our 20-day adventure tour of Vietnam and Cambodia (finishes in Bangkok, Thailand). It’s an action-packed adventure designed to feed the wanderlust of 18 to 30 year-olds.
Our adventure leaders will guide you around the region’s hidden gems and major highlights so you can get the most out of your trip. Explore ancient ruins in Siem Reap, stay in a Zay tribal homestay in Sa Pa, and snorkel amidst bio-luminescent plankton in Koh Rong. Experiences that will stay with you forever. Curious to find out more? Use the chat on the right hand of your screen to speak to our experts or enquire below to book your incredible Southeast Asian experience!
Zoom, pan and select icons to learn more.
The meeting time and place for this trip is on Day 1 at 21:30 at the lobby of Central Backpackers Hostel in Hanoi (Vietnam).
Day 1: Hanoi, Vietnam
- Meet your group and adventure leader at the hostel in Hanoi.
- Get to know your new travel companions and join in on the free bar crawl heading towards the city’s Old Quarter.
Day 2: Hanoi, Vietnam
- Visit the Hoa Lo Prison and learn about Vietnam’s history before heading over to relax by Hoan Kiem lake.
- Have lunch at Old Quarter Street followed by a free afternoon to explore Hanoi.
- Optional: Pay a visit to Hanoi Opera House, built by French colonial administration. Take a look around the building for free or pay to see one of the shows on offer.
- Optional: Fancy some evening entertainment? Watch a unique Water Puppet Show. (£4)
Day 3: Hanoi, Vietnam
- Optional: Head to the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, the resting place of Vietnam’s most iconic leader.
- Optional: Visit the Imperial Citadel, a UNESCO World Heritage site, to learn about the country’s history.
- Grab a bite to eat for lunch and enjoy the rest of the day to explore as you please! Get a good night’s sleep as it’s an early start tomorrow.
Day 4: Ha Long Bay, Vietnam
- In the morning travel to Halong Bay by bus and boat.
- The area’s known for its beautiful and dramatic landscape, defined by its towering karst peaks. In fact, it looks so impressive it’s where they chose to film King Kong: Skull Island.
- Spend the afternoon on a boat cruise, and if you are bold enough, go cliff jumping.
- In the evening we head out to spend the night on our own private beach with a chance for some partying and late night bonfires.
Day 5: Ha Long Bay, Vietnam
- Wake up to a beautiful sunrise and enjoy a relaxing breakfast.
- Hop into a kayak and explore the famous karst peaks on the water.
- Grab some lunch to refuel before heading back to Hanoi.
- Arrive in Hanoi at approx. 5pm and then hop on the night bus to Phong Nha, 6.30pm to 4 am.
Day 6: Phong Nha, Vietnam
- Sleep in until 10 am to get some rest after a night’s travel or enjoy a late morning cycle into Bong Lai village. (£4)
- In the afternoon bike to the brilliantly named Pub With Cold Beer. Take a chance to relax there; play some volleyball, eat some food and jump in the river.
- Spend the evening enjoying some karaoke with your group. You should be comfortable enough to sing around each other now, right?
Day 7: Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park, Vietnam
- Optional: Spend the day exploring Phong Nha’s coastal caves in full, with activities including floating in the mud, zip-lining across the water and kayaking. (£36)
- In the evening you’re free to do as you wish.
Day 8: Hoi An, Vietnam
- It’s an early start hopping on the 4 am – 12.30 pm sleeper bus to Hoi An, with a mid-way stop for breakfast.
- In the afternoon arrive at the beautiful Hoi An. Get a tour of the old town, the river front, and the Japanese and Vietnamese architecture
- Make the most of Hoi An’s boutiques and take the opportunity to buy a new suit or pair of boots at a price you wouldn’t see at home.
Day 9: Hoi An, Vietnam
- Free day.
- Optional: Embark on a Ba Na Hills day tour (£54)
- It’s a lovely opportunity to dedicate a whole day to Hoi An’s beach and, if you fancy it, having a go on a crab boat. (£18-£20)
- Alternatively, go to a local farm and learn about how local farmers work in the area. (£18-£20)
- In the evening take the bus to Danang and then head on the night train to Saigon at 11 pm.
Day 10: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Grab some breakfast before boarding the bus to Da Nang.
- Catch a flight from Da Nang to Ho Chi Minh City and arrive at your accommodation at around midday.
- Optional: Embark on an orientation walking tour of the city.
- For those interested, visit Ben Thanh Market for great fashion bargains and a delicious street food dinner.
- Head to the hostel’s rooftop bar, the first stop of this evening’s bar crawl.
Day 11: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Optional: A day of history starts at the Cu Chi tunnels dug by the Communist guerrilla group, the Viet Cong, that used the tunnels as a war asset to fight American and South Vietnamese troops during the civil war. (£7)
- Optional: Spend your afternoon at the War Remnants Museum to learn about the impact of the Vietnam War (1955-1975). (£1)
- Use the evening to explore Ho Chi Minh after dark.
Day 12: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Begin the tour of the Mekong Delta by going to the Tho Floating Market.
- In the afternoon, take a boat ride through the tranquil Tra Su Forest, moving through a layer of plant life growing out of the water.
- As it reaches evening, arrive at the hostel in Chau Doc.
Day 13: Koh Rong Island, Cambodia
- Cross the border at Ha Tien and wave goodbye to your Vietnam guide as you enter Cambodia.
- Transfer to Sihanoukville Beach. Drive a couple of hours and then arrive at the ferry jetty, taking the ferry to Koh Rong Island.
- Embrace the beautiful paradise island you have now entered, full of stunning beaches and moon parties.
Day 14: Koh Rong Island, Cambodia
- Enjoy a free day on the beach on Koh Rong Island.
- Optional: If you’re a restless soul and the beach isn’t enough, take the opportunity to try out scuba diving. (£60)
Day 15: Koh Rong Island, Cambodia
- Set off in the morning to go on a boat trip for the day.
- Explore the surrounding islands, visit a local village, and go snorkelling to discover the marine life lying beneath the waves.
- As the daylight fades, bioluminescent plankton reveal themselves in the seawater. It’s an incredible sight, which you’ll never forget.
- Spend the night sleeping in a hammock on a deserted beach and fall asleep to the gentle sound of waves.
Day 16: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Spend a day travelling back across the islands
- Step aboard the ferry to head back to Sihanoukville, where you’ll transfer to a bus taking you to Phnom Penh, travelling 1:30 pm – 6 pm.
Day 19: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Optional: Visit the S21 prison and Killing Fields of Choeung Ek, to learn about the darker times in Cambodia’s history. (£2)
- Optional: In the afternoon explore a completely different side of the city’s history, with a visit to the stunning Royal Palace. (£8)
- Take an evening off to soak up Phnom Penh, the riverside promenade is beautiful at night.
- For a touch of class, have a drink at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club. One of the city’s most sophisticated joints.
Day 18: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Hop on the bus to Siem Reap (8:45 am – 3:45 pm) to spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing by the pool.
- In the evening take on the Fear Factor Challenge (exploring strange exotic food) complemented by enjoying drinks from a ‘tuk tuk cocktail bar.’
Day 19: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Start the day by seeing the Angor Wat at sunrise; it’s an essential part of visiting Siem Reap.
- Wander around the area’s temples: Angor Wat, Bayon Temple and Ta Prohm (which gained increased fame for its role in Tomb Raider).
- Enjoy some free time by the pool in the afternoon.
- In the evening, get ready for our last big night out! Explore Pub Street, the centre of Siem Reap, and visit the night market for a bite to eat.
Day 20: Siem Reap, Cambodia
- After 20 days of revelling in some of the world’s most beautiful landscapes, it’s time to bid farewell to your companions.
- Take the bus back to Bangkok which will arrive at approx. 16:00.
Our Southeast Asia tour package price includes the following features:
• Bilingual Adventure Leaders in each country
• Transport within Vietnam & Cambodia
• Accommodation (including hostels, guesthouses & 1 night in hammocks on the beach)
• Selected meals, listed below
Please note: Accommodation is in dorm rooms as a standard on our Southeast Asia tours.
Upgrade options (to single, twin, or double rooms) are available, please contact us for more information.
Check out our included activities below:
• Visit Hoa Lo Prison (Hanoi)
• Walk around Hoan Kiem Lake (Hanoi)
• Visit Hanoi Opera House (Hanoi)
• Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum (Hanoi)
• Imperial Citadel (Hanoi)
• Boat tour (Halong Bay)
• Kayaking (Halong Bay)
• Karaoke (Phong Nha)
Find our extra optional activities here.
• Ancient town tour (Hoi An)
• Walking tour of the city (Saigon)
• Floating market (Mekong Delta)
• Motorbike ride through the Tra Su Forest (Mekong Delta)
• Chill out on the beach (Koh Rong)
• Boat trip around the island (Koh Rong)
• Visit S21 Prison (Phnom Penh)
• Fear Factor Challenge (Siem Reap)
• Sunrise at Angkor Wat (Siem Reap)
Food is included in the price of our 20-day Vietnam to Cambodia tour package on the following days:
Day 1 – Breakfast
Hanoi & Halong Bay:
Day 4 – Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 5 – Breakfast, lunch
Day 6 – Breakfast
Day 7 – Breakfast and lunch
Day 9 & 10 – Breakfast
Day 11 – Breakfast
Day 12 – Lunch and dinner
Day 13 – Breakfast
Day 15 – Lunch and dinner
Day 16 – Breakfast
A deposit of £200/$300 per person is required to make a reservation, with the balance due one month before departure (unless booking with one of our promotions, for which specific balance dates may apply).
Looking for assistance booking pre/post trip accommodation? Just let us know what you need!
Bookings must be made at least 90 days before the trip departure.
All accommodation is in private rooms.
Upgrades & Extras
If you’d like to upgrade to a private room the prices are listed below. Just email us at least three weeks prior to departure to let us know you’d like to upgrade. The upgrade fee is for the room, not per person. Room upgrades include single and double rooms.
31 days: Double room is £458 ($558) and £399 ($519) for a single room upgrade.
20 days: Double room is £290 ($358) and £299 ($379) for a single room upgrade.
13 days: Double room is £318 ($398) and £179 ($219) for a single room upgrade.
Frequently Asked Questions
The use of Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) is prohibited during activities organized by The Dragon Trip. If you are in possession of a drone when entering the country it is your responsibility to be informed of and follow all local laws. This may include registering your drone with authorities. If you violate this policy or operate a drone illegally you are subject to removal from the tour as per our terms & conditions.
At certain times of the year (low season particularly) we have days when the weather and wave conditions mean we are unable to use boats to access around the islands. In these circumstances we continue to operate by trekking through the island instead so should these conditions coincide with your visit we would have to adapt the tours accordingly.
This may also apply to the conditions for camping and hammock stays, we may have to adapt the tour to include village homestays or accommodation we have on other beaches around the island. Prices may vary in accordance with the accommodations requested.
Dates & prices
Other Southeast Asia Adventures
Start your adventure