16-day Indonesia Tour
Venture through Java, Bali, Gili Trawangan, Flores and the Komodo Islands as you discover Indonesia’s incredible natural beauty with our 16-day adventure tour.
From strolling around cities and volunteering at an animal conservation centre, to relaxing on black sand beaches, our passionate adventure leaders take you off-the-beaten-track on this unforgettable Indonesia experience. Immerse yourself in the country’s rich history and culture as you visit temples, mosques, rice terraces and local hangouts. Conquer the natural wonders of Mount Bromo and Mount Ijen, snorkel through Bali’s crystal-clear waters, and pay a visit to the majestic Komodo dragons. Surround yourself with stunning sunsets and delve into Indonesia’s nightlife as you party by the ocean.
Zoom, pan and select icons to learn more.
Day 1-2: Jakarta & Bogor
- If you arrive in Jakarta a day or two before your trip, we recommend heading to the top of the National Monument, a 132-metre tower in Merdeka Square, for views over the huge metropolis!
- Meet your Adventure Leader in the lobby of Six Degrees Hostel at 7am, where you’ll receive a pre-departure briefing
- Begin your Indonesian adventure with a visit to Cikananga Wildlife Centre – a conservation project not usually open to visitors which rehabilitates animals rescued from the illegal pet trade.
- Have the chance to see orangutans, leopards and many other animals, before helping the staff prepare enrichment activities for the animals, such as bamboo tubes filled with honey, which the bears in the sanctuary go crazy for!
- After a full day at the conservation centre, make your way by private transfer to Bogor
- Tonight, you’ll experience typical Indonesian home-life as you stay with a local family who will be hosting you for the night.
- Embark on a nature walk led by a former animal smuggler, who has changed the direction of his life and now focusses on animal conservation. Notice the incredible skill he has for spotting animals in the wild!
- OPTIONAL: Enjoy a brunch provided by your homestay family, where you can enjoy authentic home cooked Indonesian dishes.
- Transfer to Jakarta airport, where you’ll catch a flight to Yogyakarta. Upon arrival, head to the hostel and check in.
Day 3-4: Yogyakarta
- OPTIONAL: Explore the city! Visit the Water Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage site, where you can enjoy a steaming cup of kopi luwak coffee, brewed from coffee beans consumed by a civet cat! (Coffee not included.) Then, visit a nearby mosque to engage in a discussion with an Imam. Learn about and ask any questions you have about Islam, the religion practised by 90% of Indonesia’s people. On your way back to the hostel, stop by Alun Alun Kidal Square and join in the fun with the locals.
- Explore the famous temples just outside of Yogyakarta with a day trip to visit the iconic Borobudur Temple, Mendut Temple, Prambanan Temple and Plaosan Temple
- OPTIONAL: Hike to Goa Jomblang, where you’ll abseil 80m down into the mouth of the cave for fantastic photo opportunities of the sun rays shining through the roof. Then, go tubing to smaller caves.
- Your final day in Yogyakarta is a free day, which you can spend exploring the city or joining creative workshops!
- OPTIONAL: Take part in a Batik workshop and learn the art of wax-resist dyeing
- OPTIONAL: Pay a visit to the Keraton Sultan Palace and bustling Malioboro street
Day 5-6: Mt. Bromo & Mt. Ijen
- Say goodbye to Yogyakarta and start your journey to Mount Bromo, where you’ll arrive in the late afternoon
- Set up camp for the night and enjoy dinner around a bonfire as the sun sets
- Wake up bright and early to enjoy a spectacular sunrise over the volcano from a nearby viewpoint
- Climb aboard a four-wheel drive to travel across the sand, before hiking up to the edge of the crater
- After filling up on a local breakfast, head to the guesthouse near Mount Ijen. On your way, make a stop at Madakaripura Waterfall, the biggest waterfall in East Java!
- Enjoy a free evening to explore the area on foot and have some drinks at a local bar. If you signed up for the midnight hike, we’d recommend an early night!
- OPTIONAL: Depart on a 2-3 hour midnight trek to the top of the volcano, where you can descend into the crater to witness the unique blue fire.
- Eat a fulfilling breakfast and well-deserved rest at the guest house
Day 7-8: Lovina & Canggu
- In the late morning, transfer to Lovina by minibus and ferry. There’s an hour time difference between Java and Bali, so don’t forget to change your clocks!
- Upon arrival in Lovina, check into your accommodation and have the chance to settle in
- OPTIONAL: Take part in a cooking class and learn to make delicious Balinese dishes yourself – the ultimate souvenir to take home
- OPTIONAL: Embark on a sunrise boat trip 1km offshore to spot the local dolphin pods
- Take a private transfer to Canggu – famous for it’s relaxing beaches and great surf spots!
- OPTIONAL: Join surfing classes to become a master of the waves, with options for beginners all the way to experienced pros
- You might have picked up some of the lingo during your travels already, but it’s time for a Bahasa language class
- OPTIONAL: Hit the town for a night out at one of Bali’s largest beach parties on Man’s Beach or Echo Beach
Day 9-10: Ubud
- Eat breakfast at the hostel before departing to Ubud, where you will arrive at around 1pm
- Take a walking tour of the area, as you explore the main streets, Kajeng Rice Fields and local villages
- Continue your tour with visits to the Monkey Forest, the Royal Palace and Goa Gajah before heading back to the centre to stroll through the markets for some delicious street food
- OPTIONAL: Get a taste of the local culture as you watch an Ubud Fire Kecek dance show
- Depart on a day trip to explore the area outside Ubud, with visits to Tukad Cepung waterfall and Penglipuran – one of the cleanest villages in the world – before stopping for lunch in the village of Kintamani
- Pay a visit to Pura Tirta Empal and the Tegallang Rice Terrace – Ubud’s most famous attractions
Day 11-12: Gili Trawangan
- OPTIONAL: Make your way to Amed Beach, where you can snorkel in the crystal clear waters and witness the beautiful reefs and marine life
- Board a ferry to the Gili Islands, and hop ashore Gili Trawangan
- OPTIONAL: Unwind island style with a night out at the Sama Sama Reggae Bar
- Today is a free day! Have a lie in, relax on the gorgeous beaches or hire a bike to explore the island by yourself – the choice is yours.
Day 13-16: Labuan Bajo & Flores Island Hopping
- Hop on a transfer to Bali airport and catch a flight to Labuan Bajo
- Explore the local fish and vegetable markets by the harbour, and take the change to stock up on any snacks and drinks you want for the next few days
- Head back to your accommodation and enjoy a pool party in the hostel, which features a bar inside the pool!
- After breakfast, take a quick drive to the harbour where your live-aboard boat will be waiting for you
- Climb aboard and begin your live-aboard experience, as your captain navigates through the Flores islands. The exact route will be decided by your captain based on the water currents during your trip.
- During your 3 days aboard, you’ll relax on beautiful beaches, climb to epic viewpoints, snorkel in crystal clear waters, visit a colony of Komodo dragons and witness the migration of flying foxes at sunset.
- Visit numerous islands including Komodo Island, Rinca Island and Padar Island, and ultimate destinations including Pink Beach, Manta Point and Taka Makassar
- Enjoy breakfast, lunch and dinner freshly cooked by your onboard team of chefs
- Head back to Labuan Bajo, where you will arrive on dry land in the afternoon
- Say goodbye to your fellow travellers as you come to the end of your Dragon Trip tour. We wish you safe travels!
- Fly on to your next destination, or why not spend a few more days in paradise? We can help organise accommodation for you, just send us an email at email@example.com.
Our Indonesia tour package price includes the following features:
• Bilingual Adventure Leaders throughout the trip
• Transport within Indonesia, including the flight from Jakarta to Yogyakarta
• Accommodation (including hostels, homestays & 2 nights on a live-aboard boat)
Please note: Accommodation is in dorm rooms as a standard on our Indonesia tours.
Check out our included activities below:
• Cikananga Wildlife Centre (Jakarta)
• Local Indonesia homestay (Bogor)
• Nature walk with a former smuggler turned conservationist (Bogor)
• Day trip to Borobudur, Mendut Temple, Prambanan & Ploasan (Yogyakarta)
• Campfire at the base of a volcano (Mt. Bromo)
• Sunrise over Mt. Bromo, 4-wheel drive and hike to the edge of the crater (Mt. Bromo)
• Visit Madakaripura Waterfall (Mt. Ijen)
• Bahasa language class (Canggu)
• Head to the shore for Bali’s biggest beach parties (Canggu)
• Day trip around Ubud, including Tukad Cepung waterfall, Pengelipuran Village, Pura Tirta Empal, Tegallang Rice Terrace and more! (Ubud)
• Night out at the Sama Sama Reggae Bar (Gili Trawangan)
• Visit the harbour and local fish markets (Labuan Bajo)
• Pool party (Labuan Bajo)
• Island hop around Flores on a liveaboard boat, including a visit to a Komodo Dragon colony, snorkelling and a visit to the Pink Beach (Flores)
Find our extra optional activities here.
Need hostels booked for after your trip ends? We are more than happy to help – just let us know what you need!
A deposit is required to make a reservation, with the balance due one month prior to departure (unless booking with one of our promotions, for which specific balance due dates may apply). The deposit is £200 GBP / $300 USD / $300 AUD / €300 EUR.
For customers making payment from the UK: please note that when you are making a payment into our US dollar account you must request your bank to send the money directly to our US dollar account at HSBC UK. Otherwise they may use an intermediary bank resulting in an added wiring fee charged to you of $25.00.
Late booking customers must understand that they may be sat separately from the rest of the group on trains, and may have to be booked into a separate dorm room. No bookings can be accepted within 30 days of a trip departure date.
If you would like to alter your trip itinerary from the one provided to you by us then please let us know more than 30 days before your trip departs so that we can make your trip the perfect one for you! When you let us know that means we can relay all information to our on the ground staff and make the appropriate arrangements. If you do not let us know in advance The Dragon Trip will not be responsible for assisting you, or for providing reimbursement for accommodations or transportation not used.
Upgrades & extras
The Dragon Trip provides, upon request, airport transfers in Jakarta and Labuan Bajo. The cost of this is £15 per car and £10 per car, respectively. Airport transfers need to be booked at least 2 weeks in advance.
If you would like to find out more about transfer arrangements, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Room upgrades are not available for this trip.
All plane tickets on our Indonesia tours are purchased through a central booking centre which means there is always a small chance that you may not be seated together with the person that you have booked the tour together with. If you or your PAX has a seat that is not next to the group’s, our Adventure Leaders will be able to explain to a local passanger to help switch seats so that Dragon Trippers may be seated together.
The use of Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) is prohibited during activities organized by The Dragon Trip. If you are in possession of a drone when entering the country it is your responsibility to be informed of and follow all local laws. This may include registering your drone with authorities. If you violate this policy or operate a drone illegally you are subject to removal from the tour as per our terms & conditions.
You will receive a wristband which will have a phone number on it for you to call in emergencies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dates & prices
Other Indonesia Adventures
Start your adventure