Fixed Date Family Adventure Tours
You can join a group on one of the fixed dates listed here for 2019 and 2020:
Wednesday 27th March 2019
Tuesday 23rd July 2019
Sunday 20th October 2019
Thursday 5th March 2020
Thursday 21st May 2020
Thursday 8th October 2020
- The maximum group size will be 14 people and prices are based on twin/double/triple room occupancy.
- The price is £1,799/$2,329 per person.
- Single supplement will be £700/$1000. This rises to £950/$1350 in peak times.
Private Family Adventure Tours
Alternatively, you can go on a private tour. These tours can operate for an individual family or, to boost the fun and drop the price we recommend joining up with another family. We can create trips for any date and are able to create bespoke itineraries to suit your requirements.
The prices and surcharges (for our classic itinerary) are listed below:
3-6 people: From £1,779/$2,329*, odd-numbered groups either travel as a triple or pay the single supplement of £700/$1,000
7-10 people: From £1,499/$2,089
*During peak season there will be a surcharge of at least £200/$285 per person, depending on the group size.
Peak seasons are:
15th March – 20th April
28th April – 6th May 2018 (Golden Week)
15th July – 15th August
15th October – 30th November
Also, Christmas, New Year and other national holidays.
For trips that fall on both peak and non-peak dates, surcharges will be altered proportionally.
- A £100/$140 discount applies to children aged 6 to 12 years old at the time of travel.
- Children from 0 to 5 years old travel for £200/$285 per child. Please note, this means the child must share a bed with the adult and is not included in any of the workshops with the exception of the sushi making class.
- Instead of the workshops, we offer breakfast and dinner at the ryokan.
- Prices include all transport*, accommodation, a guide on specified days (6 days), entrance fees and some activities.
*In Tokyo – up to 8,000yen transportation card
- International flights and meals are not included in the price.
- We’re confident that we are providing the best value tour on the market.
- A deposit of £200/$300 per person is required to make a reservation, with the balance due one month before departure (unless booking with one of our promotions, for which specific balance dates may apply).
- Looking for assistance booking pre/post trip accommodation? Just let us know what you need!
- Bookings must be made at least 90 days before the trip departure
- All accommodation is in private rooms
- For more information about the country, see the Japan National Tourism Office website here.
- The onsen in Hakone is single-sex, but a fully nude experience.
- Bookings during the 2019 Rugby World Cup: 13th September (Fri), 2019 to 9th November (Sat), may incur accommodation surcharges.
- The Dragon Trip will not accept any bookings including Tokyo during the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games: 17th July to 16th August.
Activities included in the price
- Sushi making class
- Ghibli Museum or Edo Tokyo Museum
- Daibutsu at Kotoku-In Temple
- Kiyomizu Dera Temple
- Calligraphy Class
- Shinjuku Gyoen Park
- Meditation class
- Tenryu-Ji Temple
- Accommodation in 3-star hotels in twin/double rooms.
- Your stay in Hakone will be in a family room (all in one room on futon beds) in a ryokan (traditional Japanese hotel).
- Accommodation is based on the following hotels. Please note that these are subject to change and availability, especially in peak periods:
Tokyo – Washington Hotel/Shiba Park Hotel or similar
Hakone – Kiritani Hakoneso/Suirinso or similar
Kyoto – The Palace Side Hotel or similar
Hiroshima – Hotel Sunroute or similar
Osaka – Sunny Stone Hotel or similar
- Transportation for the duration of your trip:
7-day JR PASS (Day 6 to Day 12), bullet trains are covered by the JR PASS
Public transport card loaded with 8,000yen credit per adult (those aged 12 and over), 4,000yen credit per child (6 to 11 years old). Infants (0 to 5 years old) travel free. Please note, customers will be required to top up their cards should the credit run out. The public transport card cannot be used everywhere and some journeys will need to be paid for separately. If you lose your card, you will be required to cover the cost of purchasing a new one.
- English speaking guides on 6 days (8 hours guided on each of these days as standard). Extra use of a guide may come at a surcharge. Any unguided days have been carefully arranged so that they are manageable without a guide. You will be given written instructions on these days. Guides for these days can be arranged on request and at an additional cost.
- All entrance tickets to attractions listed on the itinerary, unless marked as optional.
- The following classes: sushi making, calligraphy, meditation.
- Customers are not obligated to give tips, however, feel free to praise any extraordinary service that you receive.
- Food and drink – guides can suggest various food to try and restaurants to visit. Please note that this package does not include restaurant bookings. Guides are given a budget by The Dragon Trip for their own meals.
- The following activities are optional, so you can purchase the following tickets at each location, please note that pricings are subject to change:
||Approx. Price Per Person (yen / USD)
||400 yen / 4 USD
|Owl Café (price depends on what you order)
||1500 yen / 15 USD
||1,900 yen/ 18 USD
|Hiroshima Peace Park
||200 yen/2 USD
||550 yen/ 5.5 USD
|Gion Corner Show
||3,100 yen / 29 USD (2,200 / $20 for children)
||3500 yen / 35 USD
||500 yen/ 5 USD
||600 yen/ 6 USD
|International Manga Museum
||800 yen / 8 USD
|Total per person for all optional activities
||Approx. 13,050 yen / $131 USD