13-day Thailand to Laos Tour
Embrace Southeast Asia’s wealth of unforgettable experiences on our 13-day adventure tour of Thailand and Laos (finishing in Hanoi, Vietnam). It’s an action-packed adventure designed to feed the wanderlust of 18 to 30 year-olds.
Our adventure leaders will guide you around the region’s hidden gems and major highlights so you can get the most out of your trip. Sleep in the ‘City of Stars’ in the mountains of Chiang Dao, explore the Tham Phu Kam cave and go water-rafting in Chiang Mai. Curious to find out more? Use the chat on the right hand of your screen to speak to our experts or enquire below to book your incredible Southeast Asian experience!
Zoom, pan and select icons to learn more.
Please note: This trip will finish in Hanoi, Vietnam.
The meeting time and place for this trip is on Day 1 at 17:00 in the Loftel Station Hostel in Bangkok (Thailand).
Day 1: Bangkok, Thailand
- Arrive in Bangkok to meet your group and adventure leader who will provide you with your trip briefing at 5pm.
- Get to know your new travel companions over dinner and drinks in an idyllic rooftop bar with stunning views.
- After dinner head to the sleeper train to kick-start your journey! Your train will depart at 7.35pm from the station – so don’t be late!
Day 2: Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Wake up to see the stunning scenery your train will be passing through before you arrive in Chiang Mai, the 700-year-old cultural capital of Northern Thailand.
- Spend the morning at the Elephant Jungle Sanctuary, an ecotourism project set-up by The Karen Hilltribes Trust. Feed, walk and wash the elephants.
- After, we head straight to the hostel (with a pool) to check in.
- Once refreshed, check out the city’s food market for dinner and live music.
- Optional: In the evening, learn how to cook authentic Thai dishes. (£19)
- Optional: In the evening, witness a Muay Thai kickboxing match and see two fighters go at each other fist to foot. (£9/£13)
Day 3: Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Explore the city’s dozens of temples and cultural delights. For the thrill seekers amongst you, get your adrenaline fix on one of the optional adventure activities.
- Optional: Go zip lining, drive a quad bike, or go rafting down the Mae Taeng River. (£55-£130 package dependent)
- For our first night out in the town, explore the vibrancy of the famous night market.
Day 4: Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Optional: Hop on a Songthaew and head to Wat Doi Suthep temple and take in panoramic views of the city.
- Enjoy a free afternoon! Why not explore Hmong Village near Doi Suthep temple, or make your way back to explore the old city.
- For your last night in Chiang Mai, hit up one of its most iconic bars, ‘Zoe in Yellow.’
Day 5: Chiang Dao, Thailand
- Get picked up for a short drive to the countryside where you will cycle through Northern Thai Villages on the outskirts of Chiang Mai.
- Go off the beaten track and hike through the thick jungle to a waterfall that, to this day, remains wonderfully untouched by the outside world.
- Stay overnight in a local settlement of treetop houses in Chiang Dao for one of the best stargazing experiences. (Chiang Dao translated means ‘City of Stars’)
Day 6: Chiang Dao, Thailand
- Wake up to an incredible sunrise looking out over the Thai countryside.
- We will drive back to Chiang Mai in time for breakfast and then hop on the bus to Chiang Kong.
- After checking into the hostel, spend the evening slipping into the backpacker vibe with a few cold ones.
Day 7: Mekong River, Laos
- Make the boat crossing into Laos for the next leg of your adventure tour.
- To get to the boat, we will go on a short bus drive where you will have the chance to grab some snacks before setting off on your boat journey.
- Board the slow boat at midday and begin your ride down the Mekong River. It’s a slow paced (the clue’s in the name) way to travel and makes a change from the buses. Take the chance to relax, have a few beers and smile at the water buffalo as you pass them by.
- At 6pm you will arrive in Pakbeng village. Meet your Adventure Leader at the pier and walk to your accommodation. Enjoy time to wander around and sample the local delicacy of ‘buffalo curry.’
Day 8: Luang Prabang, Laos
- With some of the slow boat journey still to go, be sure to pick up some Pakbeng sandwiches, a cultural remnant from French occupation.
- Arrive at Luang Prabang at 4:30pm where you will be picked and taken to your accommodation.
- Spend the evening at Hmong Market and enjoy drinks on the river, watching the sunset.
Day 9: Luang Prabang, Laos
- Spend the morning at the Big Brother Mouse volunteering program, interact with local children who are learning to speak English and develop your understanding of Laos’s culture.
- Optional: Learn about ‘the farm to table process’ of making rice at the Rice Experience farm. (£30)
- Spend the afternoon at Kuang Si Falls, made up of three tiers and the biggest in the Luang Prabang area. Jump in, slide down, and prepare to get very wet!
Day 10: Vang Vieng, Laos
- In the morning, it’s time to head off to Vang Vieng.
- Head to Blue Lagoon 2 where you can swim in the refreshing waters and relax in the sun.
- Transfer to the hostel at about 5pm and check in.
- Enjoy a free evening to relax or explore this backpacker paradise
Day 11: Vang Vieng, Laos
- Optional: Try your hand at rock climbing (£17), or take a biking tour of the area, followed by a hike up to Pha Ngern Viewpoint for breath-taking views. (£4)
- Later on, explore the surrounding area and bars by tubing along the Mekong River. A hedonistic backpacking classic. Grab an inflatable and relax as you float downstream. (£5)
- Enjoy some free time in the evening to further explore the wonders Vang Vieng at night.
Day 12: Hanoi, Vietnam
- In the morning take a bus journey to the airport to fly out to Hanoi, moving onto Vietnam.
- After landing, take a bus into town and arrive at the hostel at 6:30pm.
- Join in the free bar crawl, which heads around the city’s Old Quarter.
Day 13: Hanoi, Vietnam
- Last day of your 13-day adventure tour, make sure to make the most of it!
- Visit the Hoa Lo Prison and learn about Vietnam’s history before heading over to relax by Hoan Kiem lake.
- Optional: End the tour at the Temple of Literature, the city’s main temple (£1.50).
- Optional activities will finish at approx. 10pm. Time to bid farewell to your group and continue your independent travel.
Our Southeast Asia tour package price includes the following features:
• Bilingual Adventure Leaders in each country
• Transport within Southeast Asia, including a flight from Laos to Vietnam
• Accommodation (including hostels, guesthouses & 1 night in a jungle treehouse)
• Selected meals, listed below
Please note: Accommodation is in dorm rooms as a standard on our Southeast Asia tours.
Upgrade options (to single, twin, or double rooms) are available, please contact us for more information.
Check out our included activities below:
• Elephant Sanctuary (Chiang Mai)
• Visit the night food market (Chiang Mai)
• Explore the Old City (Chiang Mai)
• Trek through the jungle to a waterfall (Chiang Dao)
• Cycling through the Thai countryside (Chiang Dao)
• Visit Hmong Night Market (Luang Prabang)
• Volunteer at the Big Brother Big Mouse (Luang Prabang)
• Kuangsi Falls (Luang Prabang)
• Chill out at Blue Lagoon 2 (Vang Vieng)
• Visit Hoa Lo Prison (Hanoi)
Food is included in the price of our 13-day Thailand to Laos tour package on the following days:
Day 5 – Lunch and dinner
Day 6 – Breakfast
Day 7 – Breakfast
Day 8 – Breakfast and Lunch
Day 9 – Breakfast
Day 10 & 11 – Breakfast
Day 12 – Breakfast
A deposit of £200/$300 per person is required to make a reservation, with the balance due one month before departure (unless booking with one of our promotions, for which specific balance dates may apply).
Looking for assistance booking pre/post trip accommodation? Just let us know what you need!
Bookings must be made at least 90 days before the trip departure.
All accommodation is in private rooms.
Upgrades & Extras
If you’d like to upgrade to a private room the prices are listed below. Just email us at least three weeks prior to departure to let us know you’d like to upgrade. The upgrade fee is for the room, not per person. Room upgrades include single and double rooms.
31 days: Double room is £458 ($558) and £399 ($519) for a single room upgrade.
20 days: Double room is £290 ($358) and £299 ($379) for a single room upgrade.
13 days: Double room is £318 ($398) and £179 ($219) for a single room upgrade.
Frequently Asked Questions
The use of Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) is prohibited during activities organized by The Dragon Trip. If you are in possession of a drone when entering the country it is your responsibility to be informed of and follow all local laws. This may include registering your drone with authorities. If you violate this policy or operate a drone illegally you are subject to removal from the tour as per our terms & conditions.
Dates & prices
Other Southeast Asia Adventures
Start your adventure