9-day Beijing to Shanghai Tour
Get a taste of China as you travel between two of its biggest cities.
From the capital city (the centre of politics and loads of history), to Hangzhou- a scenic and relaxed pace settlement – to the most populated city in the world, famed for its nightlife and fascinating colonial past. This mini-trip rapidly encompasses both China’s urban and rural sides.
Zoom, pan and select icons to learn more.
Day 1-4: Beijing
- Meet your group and Adventure leader at Beijing Spring Time Hostel at 10 am
- Join them for the mandarin Lesson.
- It’s time for the Mandarin Challenge! Use your freshly learned Mandarin to complete challenges around Beijing’s ancient streets and alleyways. The winning team earns a prize.
- Mandatory meal at a local farm to obtain permission to access the locals only sections of the unrestored Great Wall
- Unmissable Attraction – Hike on totally unrestored sections of the Wall before setting up camp on a deserted section of the wall to watch the sunset on one of the Wonders of the World (Please note, due to cold weather before end of April and after September, we stay in a guest house near the Wall instead of camping, but still return to the Wall to watch sunrise in the morning)
- Unmissable Attraction – Sunrise on the Wall
- Return to Beijing
- Optional: A stunning Chinese Acrobatics Performance performed by young talents recruited from around China
- Enjoyed exclusively by royalty in ancient times, taste Beijing’s signature dish Peking Roast Duck
- Optional: Take a walk through the globally recognized, Tiananmen Square
- Optional: Visit the Forbidden City. The largest palatial complex in the world, the grounds boast 980 buildings and a history of housing 24 different Chinese royalty
- Optional: Go to Jingshan Park for a bird’s eye view of the three palaces: Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Summer Palace and Tiananmen Square.
- Test your bargaining skills in the Fake Goods Market!
- Optional: Go to the Temple of Heaven, the largest complex dedicated to heaven worship in the world and where ancient sacrifices were made to bring bountiful harvests
- Optional: Visit Nanluo district, one of the best-preserved historical areas in Beijing. It is famous for its hutongs and siheyuan courtyards as well as the bars, cafes and handicraft shops
- Enjoy a free day before heading to your next destination
- Optional: Visit the 798 art district, the Summer Palace, or any other highlights of Beijing
- Board night train to Hangzhou
Day 5-6: Hangzhou & Shanghai
- Head to West Lake for a relaxing boat tour
- Optional: Learn about China’s trade history with visits to the China National Tea Museum or the National Silk Museum
- Hike up Jiuyao Mountain to catch the sunset over West Lake
- Enjoy a delicious group dinner back in the city centre
- Optional: Explore Hangzhou old town
- Have a big breakfast ready for more activities
- Head to Misty Forest for a hike around the Nine Creeks area
- Return to the hostel to freshen up, grab lunch and check out
- Take a private transfer Hangzhou Station for your train to Shanghai
- Arrive in Shanghai and take the metro to the hostel
- Optional: Experience the city’s nightlife with the Shanghai Drunken Dragon Pub Crawl! (Only available on Saturday. If you arrive on a different day, then you can enjoy our alternative activity, a cruise on the Huangpu River by night)
Day 7-9: Shanghai
- Optional: Take the bus to ZhuJiaJiao Water Town, a Chinese equivalent to the Italian Venice
- Take the bus back to Shanghai
- Enjoy the night Chinese-style by going out for some Karaoke at KTV
- Spend your free day as you please! As your Adventure Leader for suggested activities or look in your Little Red Book for inspiration
- Optional: Spend your free day releasing your inner child at Shanghai Disneyland
- Mandarin Lesson 4: Today your lesson is run by professional teachers from Mandarin Garden Chinese Language School!
- Optional: Walk to the Yu Gardens and back a bustling historical site of a former dignitary lavish family quarters
- Optional: See People’s Square, before heading on to the World’s busiest shopping street, Nanjing Road. Afterwards, go for a walk along the bund, a hub of global architecture. To finish off, head to the top floor of a skyscraper to enjoy some champagne whilst sitting in a hot tub.
- Optional: Stroll through the former French Concession to hear a little bit about Shanghai’s international history, visit a secretive propaganda history museum, take in the sights of the ultra-modern Shanghai financial district, take a local ferry cross the famous Huangpu river from east to the west of The Bund and finish off the afternoon by visiting TianZiFang a local artisan’s lane that blends the chic and traditional
- Optional: For the daredevils, head to the top of Jinmao Tower and brave the Skywalk! Or just go up and take in the panoramic views
- Optional: Go to VUE bar to view the city skyline from a rooftop jacuzzi!
- Optional: Take in the bright city lights from the water with a night cruise down the Huangpu River
- On day 9, optional activities will finish at approx. 19:00. Say goodbye to your group and finish up your tour with The Dragon Trip. We wish you safe travels!
Our China tour package price includes the following features:
• Bilingual Adventure Leaders in each city
• Transport within China
• Accommodation (including hostels, guesthouses & 1 night camping)
Please note: Accommodation is in dorm rooms as a standard on our China tours.
Upgrade options (to single, twin, or double rooms) are available, please contact us for more information.
Check out our included activities below:
• Tiananmen Square (Beijing)
• Fake market (Beijing)
• Great Wall of China (Beijing)
• Visit the 2009 Olympic Park (Beijing)
• National Tea or National Silk Museums (Hangzhou)
• Explore the Old Town (Hangzhou)
• People’s Square (Shanghai)
*Unmissable activities are listed in bold. Find our extra optional activities here.
Need hostels booked for after your trip ends? We are more than happy to help – just let us know what you need!
A deposit is required to make a reservation, with the balance due one month prior to departure (unless booking with one of our promotions, for which specific balance due dates may apply). The deposit is £200 GBP / $300 USD / $300 AUD / €300 EUR.
For customers making payment from the UK: please note that when you are making a payment into our US dollar account you must request your bank to send the money directly to our US dollar account at HSBC UK. Otherwise they may use an intermediary bank resulting in an added wiring fee charged to you of $25.00.
Late booking customers must understand that they may be sat separately from the rest of the group on trains, and may have to be booked into a separate dorm room. No bookings can be accepted within 18 days of a trip departure date.
If you would like to alter your trip itinerary from the one provided to you by us then please let us know more than 30 days before your trip departs so that we can make your trip the perfect one for you! When you let us know that means we can relay all information to our on the ground staff and make the appropriate arrangements. Some such requests from previous Dragon Trippers are: I would like to skip Macau and go directly to Hong Kong from Fujian, I don’t need accommodation in Shanghai because I am staying with a friend, I would not like to camp on the wall and instead want to stay in regular accommodation, I would like to take a flight instead of a train for certain legs of the trip. Please let us know more than 30 days in advance. If you do not let us know in advance The Dragon Trip will not be responsible for assisting you, or for providing reimbursement for accommodations or transportation not used.
Upgrades & extras
Room and train upgrades for the entirety of this route are available. Room upgrade requests must be communicated to the Dragon Trip before the start of the trip. Customers wishing to upgrade once the trip has started must do so independently. Train upgrades are unavailable once train tickets have been booked, train upgrades only apply to over-night trains.
Room upgrades are £90 per person for singles and £45 per person for doubles. On Day 5 (Hangzhou) there is no option for a room upgrade. In Beijing everyone will get twin rooms, those who have paid for an upgrade will receive a superior room. Train upgrades are £70.
The Dragon Trip provides, upon request, airport transfers. In Beijing and Shanghai, the price is £40 for a pick up or drop-off. This will be in private transportation (up to 3 PAX). If you’d like a bilingual guide to meet you and ride with you from the airport to your destination, or vice versa, it is GBP 40 extra for a pick up or drop off (up to 3 PAX). In Guilin, Xi’an and Chengdu, the price is GBP 30 for a pick up or drop-off. This will be in private transportation (up to 3 PAX). If you’d like a bilingual guide, it is GBP 30 for a pick up or drop off (up to 3 PAX). This service is not available in Hong Kong.
All train tickets in China must be purchased through a central booking centre which means there is always a small chance that you may not be seated together with the person that you have booked the tour together with. If you or your PAX has a seat that is not next to the group’s our Adventure Leaders have a process to help you switch your tickets, so that you are seated next to the group. (In some train stations, the Adventure Leader will be able to board the train even when they won’t be travelling themselves. In this case, they will switch you or your PAXs tickets with a local so that Dragon Trippers can sit together. In the case that our Adventure Leader cannot board the train, they will be able to explain in Mandarin over the phone to a conductor, or directly to a local passenger to help switch seats so that Dragon Trippers may be seated together.)
The use of Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) is prohibited during activities organized by The Dragon Trip. If you are in possession of a drone when entering the country it is your responsibility to be informed of and follow all local laws. This may include registering your drone with authorities. If you violate this policy or operate a drone illegally you are subject to removal from the tour as per our terms & conditions.
You will receive a wristband which will have a phone number on it for you to call in emergencies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dates & prices
Other China Adventures
Start your adventure