18 days Delhi to Goa
The Ultimate India Group Tour
Dive into the rich, vibrant and diverse culture of India with our 18-day adventure tour.
Covering both the north and the west of the country, this group tour has it all. Explore India’s iconic major landmarks, World Heritage ancient ruins, glorious Goan beaches and abundance of delicious food. From bustling cities to rural villages, our Adventure Leaders take you off-the-beaten-track as you explore all that India has to offer.
Including hostels & 1 night camping
Bilingual Adventure Leaders in each city
Transport within India
Itinerary & map
Day 1 – Delhi:
On the first day of your 18-day India group tour, you will meet your guide at 7pm at the hostel for a pre-departure briefing, to drop your things off and to get to know your travel companions for the next couple of weeks.
Then, you will enjoy your first, delicious, Indian meal with the rest of your group. After, you will sit down for your first Hindi lesson lead by our Adventure leader and then head out to the majestic and very impressive Sri Bangla Sahib Gurdwara, a famous Sikh Temple. You will explore it in all its glory, at night.
Day 2 – Delhi & Varanasi:
Wake up and embark on a tour of Delhi where you’ll explore the Shri Digambar Jain Temple where you’ll learn about Jainism – an ancient Indian religion. For lunch, you will visit a street food market where you’ll be able to try some local delicacies and have a wander around the local spice market. In the afternoon you will take a relaxing walk through The Lodi Garden and explore India’s first ever Public Art District on the walls of the iconic Lodhi Colony of Delhi.
In the evening you will hop aboard a night train to Varanasi – a busy city in northern India, regarded as the spiritual capital of the country. Varanasi possesses over 2,000 temples, including the ‘Golden Temple’ which is dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva. The city also attracts Hindu pilgrims who bathe in the Ganges River’s sacred waters and perform funeral rites.
Day 3 – Varanasi:
You will arrive in Varanasi and meet your new Adventure Leader so that you can make your way to the hostel and drop your bags off. This will be followed by an optional breakfast tour where you’ll indulge in some local street food. After, take a walk around the city’s old town where you will pay a visit to the Blue Lassi store.
In the evening, you will watch a spectacular Ganga Aarti ceremony from the riverbanks. Then you will have the option to take a boat ride down the River Ganges as you tour Varanasi’s ancient Ghats, or you can have dinner on the banks of the river at the Dolphin Restaurant.
Then, we’d recommend getting a good night’s sleep as you will be waking up early in the morning to see the sunrise over the Ganges.
Optional activities in Varanasi:
– Evening Boat Tour (400 INR / 11 GBP – price may change dependent on group size)
Day 4 – Varanasi & Agra :
The best way to enjoy River Ganges is to go on a boat ride. Today, you’ll wake up early to witness a colourful sky and vibrant sunrise during a Ghat boat tour.
After this, you will have the option to explore the excavated ruins and deer park at the Sarnath Buddhist and Hindu archaeological site. You will learn about the history of Sarnath and visit the museum that has 6,832 sculptures and artefacts.
Later, you will transfer to the train station as you board an overnight train to Agra – home to the iconic Taj Mahal!
Optional activities in Varanasi:
– Sarnath Buddhist and Hindu Archaeological Site (600 INR / 6.8 GBP – price may change dependent on group size)
Day 5 – Agra:
When you arrive in Agra, you will make your way to your accommodation, where you can check-in and get settled. We recommend visiting the Agra Fort for some history and culture, or you can rejuvenate by a rooftop pool – your Adventure Leader can recommend some!
In the evening, you have the option to enjoy dinner and drinks at the luxurious Hotel Taj Resort. India has some of the most luxurious hotels in the world and the Hotel Taj was built in a Maharaja’s palace. This evening, you can enjoy dinner, drinks and pretend you are royalty within the hotel’s grounds.
Optional activities in Agra:
– Agra Fort (1050 INR / 12 GBP)
– Rooftop Swimming Pool (300 INR / 3.3 GBP)
Day 6 – Agra & Jaipur:
This morning, you will experience a spectacular sunrise over the Taj Mahal, one of the wonders of the world and a once in a lifetime opportunity.
The Taj Mahal is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and India’s most recognised landmark made out of white marble. The mausoleum was built in Agra between 1631 and 1648 for the Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his favourite wife. The Taj Mahal is the jewel of Muslim culture and art and a universally admired masterpiece in the world. Take time to enjoy this opportunity, wander around and take in the surroundings.
After, make your way to Jaipur – the capital of India’s Rajasthan state and is now more commonly called the Old City, or ‘Pink City’ for its trademark building colour. Here, you will have your second Hindi lesson and the option to visit a viewpoint for panoramic views of the city and Nahargarh Fort.
Optional activities in Jaipur:
– Nahagarth Fort- viewpoint (200 INR / 2.3 GBP)
Day 7 – Jaipur:
Today, you will pay a visit to Galtaji, locally known as the Monkey Temple. After, make your way to Amber Fort, one of the most famous forts of Rajasthan with influences from both Hindu and Muslim architecture.
Later, you will also have the option to take part in a couple of activities. You can either watch a Bollywood movie at the famous Raj Mandir Theatre, treat your taste buds to the local delicacies in a food court tour or enjoy a night out in Jaipur.
Optional activities in Jaipur:
– Bollywood Movie Experience (100-350 INR / 1.07-3.74 GBP)
– Food Court Tour (200 INR / 2.14 GBP)
Day 8 – Jaisalmer:
You have the option to take in the spectacular views of the city at sunrise with a hot air balloon safari – this is truly an unforgettable experience!
You will also have the option to enjoy a private guided tour of the Pink City, including the City Palace and its grounds – with gardens, courtyards and museums and part of the Palace is still a royal residence.
For the artists amongst you, you will have the option to join an art class at the Creatis Studio. In the evening, you will board the 11.45pm overnight train to Jaisalmer.
Optional activities in Jaisalmer:
– Balloon Safari (190-280 USD) – Balloon Safari is available only between September 1st – April 30th. The cheaper option $190 is nonrefundable in case of cancellations due to the weather – it can only be re-scheduled. The other option $280 is fully refundable if the flight is canceled due to the weather conditions.
– Explore the Pink City (700 INR / 7.49 GBP)
– Art Class (1000 INR / 10.70 GBP)
Day 9 – Jaisalmer:
When you arrive in Jaisalmer, you will transfer to the Adventure Safari company house and shower, rest and have lunch nearby.
In the afternoon, the desert adventure starts by driving by jeep into the desert. This is where you’ll begin your Camel Safari with a short ride to the campsite. You will enjoy a cooked vegetarian dinner around the campfire. Relax, take in your surroundings and stargaze to your heart’s delight.
Day 10 – Jaisalmer:
You will wake up for a beautiful sunrise over the sand dunes and embark on a longer camel trek to a desert village for a tour.
After you’ll head back into the city to freshen up at the company house and you will have the option to pay a visit to the famous Jaisalmer Fort – a hilltop citadel with the ornate Maharaja’s Palace and intricately carved Jain temples. You will also have the option to visit the Gadsisar Sagar Lake and the nearby viewpoint.
In the afternoon you will get picked up from the hostel and will take a private transfer to Jodhpur. Before arriving at your hostel you will enjoy your third Hindi lesson.
Optional activities in Jaisalmer:
– Jaisalmer Fort (600 INR / 6.42 GBP)
– Gadsisar Lake In and Viewpoint (100 INR / 1.07 GBP)
Day 11 – Jodhpur :
Jodhpur is a city in the Thar Desert, also known as the ‘Blue Heaven’ due to its iconic shade of blue. In the morning, you will embark on a guided walking tour of the Blue City.
Then, you will have the option to visit the Toorji Step Well where you can have a drink at the café. You will also have the option to test your bravery on a flying fox zipline over the landmark of the Mehrangarh Fort.
In the evening, you will have the option to join a Krishna cooking workshop and learn to cook ten traditional dishes – yummy!
Optional activities in Jodhpur:
– Flying Fox (1999 INR / 21.39 GBP)
– Cooking Class (1500 INR / 16.05 GBP)
Day 12 – Mumbai:
In the morning hop on a plane to Mumbai and make your way to your new accommodation. After checking in you will take part in an orientation walk where you’ll explore the Gateway of India and the Colaba District – the city’s most famous monument.
Want to explore this bustling city at night? Why not immerse yourself in the local Indian night life and end the day with a pub crawl!
Day 13 – Mumbai:
Want to learn more about life in India? Start your day with a tour of Dharavi, where you can learn about the incredible industries in action within the community, including textiles, leather and recycling. This tour is guaranteed to shatter your expectations of the Indian slum lifestyle! After, pay a visit to the Dhobi Ghat laundromat, the world’s largest open-air laundry and a hive of activity! Here you can watch the hundreds of men clean clothes coming from all over the city.
Optional activities in Mumbai:
– Dharvai Slum Tour (500 INR / 5.35 GBP)
– Dhobi Ghat Mahalaxmi Visit – the largest outdoor laundry in the world (Tripper Dependent)
Day 14 – Mumbai:
In the morning you can head out to see the legendary Dabbawala delivery men in action – a lunchbox delivery system that delivers hot lunches from homes and restaurants to people within India. Later, you can then visit the Mani Bhavan Gandhi Museum, a two-story museum dedicated to the life and work of Mahatma Gandhi.
As you have a free afternoon, you can take this opportunity to either relax or explore some more of Mumbai’s historic attractions.
– Mani Bhavan Gandhi Museum (Free entry, but need to pay for transportation)
Day 15 – Mumbai & Goa:
Start the day at your own pace with a free morning to relax.
At 11am, you’ll transfer to Mumbai airport where you will catch an afternoon flight to Goa. If you’re lucky enough to grab the window seat, you can enjoy the views of the beautiful west Indian coastline from the air!
In the evening, you’ll arrive at your hostel, where you can spend the rest of the day as you please. Ask your guide for the best bars and restaurants nearby or take a sunset stroll along the beach. Only a short walk from the hostel you can find the charming Vagator beach, which boasts some of the best sunset views in Goa.
Day 16 – Goa:
Today you have a free day!
Treat yourself to a day of ultimate relaxation with a visit to Goa’s beautiful beaches. Close to the hostel you can find both the Ozran and Chapora beaches. Both are quaint and sandy, with Chapora fort ruins located high on the cliff just beside the beach!
If you don’t mind travelling to your beach destination, why not embark on the 30-minute journey to the beautiful, long stretch of sand at Mandrem beach. This is one of the under-explored beaches of Goa, so a perfect spot for those seeking relaxation and rejuvenation.
Need more adventure in your day? Take a taxi to the Old Town to explore the streets lined with old Portuguese colonial buildings. Learn about Old Goa’s history as the capital of Portuguese India from the 16th century, until its abandonment in the 18th century.
End the day with a night on the town in India’s party state! Your guide can take you to a nearby bar where your fun will begin.
Day 17 – Goa:
Enjoy some more free time and make the most of your last full day in Goa by hitting up the beaches left on your list or doing some last-minute visits to the abundance of heritage sites.
Fancy some more adventure? Head out for a morning of adventure and go kayaking through Goa’s rivers and backwaters, where you can appreciate up close the scenic jungles and mangroves as you paddle by!
Optional activities in Goa:
– Kayaking Experience (500 INR / 5.35 GBP)
Day 18 – Goa:
Today is the last day of your nearly three week group tour of India. Congratulations on finishing your epic journey! Your trip has now come to an end, say goodbye to your fellow travellers!
Check out our included activities below:
- Sri Bangla Sahib Gurdwara Temple visit (Delhi)
- Hindu Language Lesson (Delhi)
- Old Delhi Tour (Delhi)
- New Delhi Tour (Delhi)
- Walking tour at the Varanasi Old Town (Varanasi)
- Watch Ganga Aarti Ceremony (Varanasi)
- Sunrise Boat Tour (Varanasi)
- Taj Mahal Sunrise Visit (Agra)
- Hindu Language Lesson #2 (Jaipur)
- Monkey Temple (Jaipur)
- Desert Camping – including Camel trek, campfire (seasonal), overnight stay under the stars, sunrise watch and a village visit. (Jaisalmer)
- Hindu Language Lesson #3 (Jaisalmer)
- Blue City Orientation Walk (Jodhpur)
- Mumbai City Walking Tour (Mumbai)
- Simple dinner included on your first night in Delhi
- Dinner and breakfast is provided when camping in the desert
The use of Drones and other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) is prohibited during activities organized by The Dragon Trip. If you are in possession of a drone when entering the country it is your responsibility to be informed of and follow all local laws. This may include registering your drone with authorities. If you violate this policy or operate a drone illegally you are subject to removal from the tour as per our terms & conditions.
Activities that aren’t included:
- Street Food Breakfast tour (Varanasi)
- EveningGhatBoatTour – 400INR/11GBP (price may change dependent on group size) (Varanasi)
- SarnathBuddhistandHinduArchaeologicalSite – 700INR/7.6GBP (price may change dependent on group size) (Varanasi)
- Agra Fort – 1050 INR/ 12 GBP (Agra)
- Rooftop Swimming Pool – 300 INR / 3.3 GBP (Agra)
- Nahagarth Fort – viewpoint – 200 INR / 2.3 GBP (Jaipur)
- Amber Fort – 1550 INR / 17.6 GBP (Jaipur)
- Bollywood Movie Experience – 100-350 INR / 1-4 GBP (subject to availability) (Jaipur)
- FoodCourtTour – at least 200 INR / 2.2 GBP (tripper dependent) (Jaipur)
- City Palace Entrance Fee at the Pink City – 700 INR / 7.9 GBP (Jaipur)
- Art Class – 1000 INR / 11 GBP (Jaipur)
- Balloon Safari – 190-280 USD (Jaipur) *Please note, Balloon Safari is available only between September 1st-April 30th. The cheaper option $190 is non refundable incase of cancellations due to the weather – it can only be re-scheduled. The other option $280 is fully refundable if the flight is canceled due to the weather conditions.*
- Jaisalmer Fort – 600 INR / 6.6 GBP (Jaisalmer)
- Gadsisar Lake and Viewpoint – Lake is free, viewpoint is 100 INR / 1.1GBP (Jaisalmer)
- Flying Fox – 1999 INR / 2 2GBP (Jodhpur)
- Cooking Class – 1500 INR / 16.6 GBP (plus transportation approx 400 INR per vehicle) (Jodhpur)
- Dharavi Slum Tour – 500 INR / 5.5 GBP (Mumbai)
- Dhobi Ghat Mahalaxmi Visit – the largest outdoor laundry in the world- Tripper Dependent (Mumbai)
- Mani Bhavan Gandhi Museum – Free entry, but need to pay for transportation (Mumbai)
- Kayaking – 2833 INR / 31.5 GBP (Goa)
This group tour of India includes accommodation in dorm rooms in hostels. If you’d like to upgrade to a single room this will cost you £450 (per person) and for a double £225 (per person). Room upgrades include single, double and twin rooms.
The group will be in sex-segregated hotel rooms (unless you book with friends of different sexes, in which case we will do our best to put you together).
If you are planning on arriving early to Delhi before your group tour of India starts or staying on later on the beaches of Goa, we can arrange additional accommodation for you for a extra cost.
We can also arrange for airport transfers to pick you up from the airport in Delhi at the start of your trip or drop you off at the end.
A deposit is required to make a reservation on our India tours, with the balance due 70 days prior to departure (unless booking with one of our promotions, for which specific balance due dates may apply).
The deposit is 10% of the group tour price (unless stated otherwise). If you book on to our India tours less than 70 days prior to departure, the full balance will be due within 3 days of booking.
No bookings can be accepted within 40 days of a trip departure date.