12-day China Family Adventure Tour
Turn your family holiday into the trip of a lifetime with our 12-day China Adventure Tour; travel down from Beijing, through Xi’an and Chengdu, and then finish in Shanghai.
Our tour packs in the must sees and mixes them together with unforgettable experiences: from the mighty sights of the Great Wall and the Shanghai Bund to the hidden back-streets of Beijing and the bustling markets of Xi’an. For an extensive list of the activities, see the trip itinerary below. To give you and your family the best travel experience, we made sure there is something for everyone. Our trips can depart at any time you choose and prices are given depending on numbers and accommodation choices.
Zoom, pan and select icons to learn more.
Day 1: Beijing
• Fly in to Beijing Capital Airport where you will meet your local driver who will take you to your accommodation. (1.5 hours)
Day 2: Beijing
• Morning: Explore Beijing’s winding Hutong streets on a rickshaw tour. This old area of the city has survived China’s tumultuous history, remaining as a capsule of traditional Chinese living. Visit a local family’s courtyard and enjoy a Hutong style family meal.
• Afternoon: Learn about China’s imperial history at Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, then take in the panoramic view of historic Beijing from Jingshan Park.
• Evening: Dine in true Beijing style and try a Peking roast duck banquet.
Day 3: Beijing
• Morning: Enjoy a morning of peace and tranquillity, beginning with a Tai Chi lesson in the park. Afterwards, continue to see the Temple of Heaven to see classic imperial Chinese architecture and get a taste of Chinese park life. Experience a Chinese tea ceremony in a teahouse in the corner of the park.
• Afternoon: In the afternoon, visit the Summer Palace and stroll through its sprawling grounds. OPTIONAL: Take a boat across its lake.
• Evening: Free time.
Day 4: Beijing
• Morning/Afternoon: Travel to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall to spend a day visiting China’s most iconic landmark. OPTIONAL: Take a cable car to the top and, if you’re looking to add some fun, a toboggan ride to the bottom!
• Evening: Watch a stunning acrobatic performance.
Day 5: Xi’an
• Morning: Transfer to the train station and take a bullet train from Beijing to Xi’an.
• Afternoon: Meet your local guide in Xi’an and transfer to your accommodation. Visit the Drum and Bell Towers followed by a tour of the city’s Muslim Quarter; learn about the city’s cultural make-up whilst passing through its bustling markets.
• Evening: Enjoy traditional Hui Muslim food for dinner.
Day 6: Xi’an
• Morning: Drive outside the city (1.5 hours) to go deeper into China’s ancient past by paying a visit to the famous Terracotta Warriors – over 8000 statues which lay hidden underground for over 2000 years. After the visit make your own clay warriors at a model factory.
• Afternoon: Take a bike ride around the top of Xi’an’s ancient City Walls.
• Evening: Watch the city’s fountain light-show.
Day 7: Xi’an
• Morning: Pay a visit to the Small Wild Goose Pagoda, built 8th century AD, where you will learn the ancient art of calligraphy.
• Afternoon: Take a high-speed train from Xi’an to Chengdu.
• Evening: Free time.
Day 8: Chengdu
• Morning: Visit the Chengdu Giant Pandas Research Centre where you can see pandas from babies up to adults in an imitated natural environment.
• Afternoon: Drive to the Leshan Giant Buddha the biggest stone buddha in the world and UNESCO listed World Heritage Site.
• Evening: Try Chengdu’s famous Hot Pot for dinner.
Day 9: Chengdu
• Morning: Start the day with a cooking class and enjoy the food you have prepared for lunch.
• Afternoon: Visit the Chengdu Museum and later walk along Chengdu’s Jinli Old Street to take in some ancient Chinese charm and try local specialties.
• Evening: Free time.
Day 10: Shanghai
• Morning: Take a flight from Chengdu to Shanghai.
• Afternoon: Meet your local guide and transfer to your accommodation. Afterwards, take a walking tour of the city’s attractions: People’s Square, Nanjing Road, and the Bund.
• Evening: Enjoy an evening cruise on the Huangpu river for a breathtaking view of the Shanghai skyline.
Day 11: Shanghai
• Morning: Explore Yu Yuan Gardens and Bazaar to look for gifts and try local delicacies. For lunch, try Shanghai’s famous xiao long bao dumplings.
• Afternoon: Take a tour of Shanghai’s financial district, Lujiazui, and head to the top of the Pearl TV Tower for a view of the whole city.
• Evening: Free time.
Day 12: Shanghai
• It’s time to end your adventure and return home! Take a transfer from your accommodation to Shanghai Pudong Airport.
The package price includes the following:
- Our standard accommodation is 4-star hotels however this can be changed in line with price.
- All transportation within China is included in the price, including all inner-city transfers.
- City transportation is in private and fully insured cars.
- Tickets for high-speed rail from Beijing to Xi’an and from Xi’an to Chengdu will be second-class.
- Flight tickets from Chengdu to Shanghai will be second-class.
- All hotels we use include a free-breakfast. Breakfasts are typically Western/Chinese buffet style.
- Bottled drinking water is provided. 2 bottles per person per day.
- All meals listed in the itinerary are included in the price.
- Your guide will help order your lunch and eat with you, however your food will not be included in the trip price.
- 1 English speaking local guide in each location.
- A full day of guiding, 8-9 hours. A half day of guiding, 4 hours.
- Tips are not included.
- All tickets to attractions/activities listed on the itinerary are included in the price, bar the Summer Palace boat ride and The Great Wall cable-car/toboggan ride.
- Day 8 can be replaced with one day volunteering in the Dujiangyan pandas base, this will cost an extra 2050RMB, in total, based on a family of 4.
Please note: Accommodation is in dorm rooms as a standard.
Upgrade options (to single, twin, or double rooms) are available, please contact us for more information.
A deposit of £200/$300 per person is required to make a reservation, with the balance due one month before departure (unless booking with one of our promotions, for which specific balance dates may apply).
Looking for assistance booking pre/post trip accommodation? Just let us know what you need!
Bookings must be made at least 90 days before the trip departure.
All accommodation is in private rooms.
- Morning activities 09.00 – 12.00
- Afternoon activities 14.00 – 17.00
- Evening activities 19.00 – 20.30.
- Occasionally times differ for certain itineraries or activities.
- If activities are cancelled they can be replaced by one of similar value suggested by the guide however we do not issue refunds on this.
Frequently Asked Questions
Other China Adventures
Start your adventure